First-World Problems Are The Worst...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After nearly 20 years of suffering with satellite service, OEC fiber out of Norman was extended to our place near Mustang last year. I thought I'd died and gone to broadband heaven. With satellite we had 2 - 5 MB/s upload and much less download (as long as it wasn't raining or snowing or icing), that worked sort of most of the time - with a lot of buffering - for $95/month. With OEC fiber, we have 100 MB/s up and down, with service solid as a rock 24/7 rain or shine for about half that, with an option to upgrade to 1 GB/s for another twenty bucks or so a month. So far, I've found that 100 MB/s is faster than I can make use of anyway, so have seen no need for the 1 GB service, which would be like driving a Lambo to Walmart and back. OEC is Stupid fast, and never breaks (at least not once so far). Calling up Hughes.net and canceling (and calling up AT&T and canceling DirecTV) were two of the most enjoyable phone calls I've ever made, followed closely by telling my roofer to throw those two antennas in the dumpster when we got our new roof put on. Good luck, and trust me, I feel your pain.
Main reason for faster is if you are streaming multiple 4K videos, if you aren't save the money.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Main reason for faster is if you are streaming multiple 4K videos, if you aren't save the money.

I agree. We don't watch 4K stuff or even all that many movies. We're older retired folks and streaming HD works fine for us. Lots of great streaming options are available but being big football fans we chose YoutubeTV's package (lots of sports and ESPN) coupled with Amazon Prime Video + the Curiosity Stream documentary channel. YoutubeTV has excellent sports/ESPN coverage, and we make heavy use of the unlimited free 6-month LIFO recording.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as using the service, I can't tell any difference over AT&T which costs over twice as much. Their customer service is horrible. I had AT&T before moving here.

Several people have told me US Cellular is the best here but I guess they roam on other networks outside Oklahoma? That's what I was told by someone that uses their service...haven't looked to see if that's true.

I left All Trash Telephone (AT&T) for US Cellular 20 years ago and have never looked back. (My first phone with them was the original Nokia 3310)

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I frequently drop calls, even when standing next to my booster.

The upside is that I can take a whiz in 360 degrees off of my porch without having to worry about anybody taking offense.

One time I forget to check the flower beds below and the wife never lets me forget...

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cannot overemphasize the importance (not to mention the civic duty) for all those living in a rural setting to make it absolutely clear to the world just how desolate, austere, inconvenient and frightening it is to live outside of a protected city or suburban environment!

Nah...I had to deal with exactly (0) a$$#oles yesterday due to my extended distance from 'civilization'. The austerity is very much welcomed.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot overemphasize the importance (not to mention the civic duty) for all those living in a rural setting to make it absolutely clear to the world just how desolate, austere, inconvenient and frightening it is to live outside of a protected city or suburban environment!

No kidding... It's horrible. Stay in the city, people! You don't want to come out here. Not a Starbucks for 75 miles in any direction...

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@geezer77 How do you like Curiosity Stream? I was just talking about it to my Librarian wife, for her school. I've looked at it but never subscribed.
I like it a lot, many excellent documentaries on about any subject you can imagine. Most are 40-50 minute things, all with no ads. You can subscribe two ways: via Prime Video by adding it as a PV subscribed "Channel" (which tacks it onto whatever pays your Amazon bill), or subscribe direct with the Curiosity Stream website and download their app. Price is about the same, and after trying both ways I'm beginning to think direct sub with CS is the way to go, and I'm going to go back to that method. I think the direct sub/app method we used at first opens up access to more/better/newer documentaries than we're currently getting via the Amazon PV Channel subscription route. Pretty cheap either way. Billed by the year, averages out to around something like $3/month. Good, clean professionally produced documentaries, family-safe, and really eye-opening/educational on many things. Check their website.

Latest posts

Top Bottom