Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is right up there with the whole "certified black angus" beef craze.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

You cannot buy Japanese Kobe beef in this country. Not in stores, not by mail, and certainly not in restaurants. No matter how much you have spent, how fancy a steakhouse you went to, or which of the many celebrity chefs who regularly feature “Kobe beef” on their menus you believed, you were duped. I’m really sorry to have to be the one telling you this, but no matter how much you would like to believe you have tasted it, if it wasn’t in Asia you almost certainly have never had Japan’s famous Kobe beef.

craigmn

Marksman
Reaction score
It's just a distinction in the same way champagne, bourbon, or vidalia onions are. You can buy wagyu beef, which is the same breed just not from Kobe. A lot of places but Kobe style though

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is right up there with the whole "certified black angus" beef craze.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

It depends on what it is and if they are calling it Kobe or Wagyu. If they are calling Wagyu "Kobe," it's a bit dishonest. If it's some other beef that's fatty and they call it "Kobe" then it's a damned lie. If it's Wagyu and they call it Wagyu, then they are fine.

My beef (pun intended) with "Certified Black Angus" is that it ain't certified as anything special. It's just a brand. Marketing. You can by Angus beef that isn't "Certified" from people who are part of the marketing organization.

At least people calling Wagyu beef "Wagyu" are simply alluding to the brand (i.e. Piedmontese, Limousin, Charolais) and not using some false "Certification" as part of the marketing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom