Garden 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replaced the dead maters and okra, and some of the new okra are looking puny. Corn and beans are starting to jump with the warmer temps.

Basically everything is ready to go nuts if it doesn't get back down in the 40s again for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With slightly higher temps the garden has taken off. Corns well over knee high, beans are starting to form. Maters are a little bigger than a golf ball, and the bell peppers ain't far behind. Newly planted asparagus is over a foot tall...can't wait for that, but I guess it'll be a few years.

Actually got to harvest and eat the first things from my first garden. Buttered squash and zucchini! Oh man, I could live on that for a while. Can't wait for some sweet corn and maters.

The only thing not doing well is the okra. About a third of the plants are puny and a few have died. Can't figure it out.

Still very happy overall. I'll post some pics when the laptop is handy.

That Hoss Tools wheel hoe is the best money I've spent in a while. I can clear the whole garden of Bermuda sprigs and edge it in a few hours. It's good exercise and beats the crap out of fighting the tiller.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Waiting on more onions to fall over before they I knocked over the rest.
20170601_093124.jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New, raised garden, not doing as well as I'd hoped but sort of what I expected. Dirt was nutrient poor and compost not much better.
Added what I thought would help but off season I will put some more work into it.
Tomatoes are just now starting to produce and peppers are yet to do so. Many of my friends have already got peppers and their tomatoes are doing well.
I'll tend them daily and they will produce but you get out what you put in and this was a last minute project and I knew it would be ok but not great.
Have been adding some coffee grounds (lightly) and some other things but it is what it is.
Will remove about a third of the dirt in the winter and add to another box I'll make at the end of the year. I will have plenty of my own compost to replace it with and add to the new box and using some garden dirt (not store bought) in the other one.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
asparagus has gone to fern and making the red berries, peppers are producing. if i get any off the plants - any takers here for ghost peppers?

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a bunch of chicken scat and chicken compost on our garden this year and it has went NUTS!!! I've never had 'maters grow this fast or look this good before. The weeds are also growing fast too. *Mumbling*..people with perfectly manicured gardens and lawns sicken me. I can't find the time!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What brand of soaker hose did you get? How is it holding up?

I got two of the 100' that Walmart sells. They put out a little more water at the first of the hose vs toward the end. They weren't very expensive.
I tried hooking them together, but the pressure loss at the 150' mark was down to zero so I ended up using one of those cheap splitters to feed them separately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom