GD cows!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our cattle never seem to affect the deer rotations but we have seen changing in the deer patterns when we move cattle, or add to the herd around hunting season... so we try not to do anything around hunting season to our herd but just feed them.... and deer get used to seeing farmers as well, same ole truck or tractor never seems to bother them much.... we had a young buck that used to come out and chase our truck when we were spreading pellets for the cows.... kinda funny to look back and he was running in the middle of the cows.... but he would stop and eat the protein pellets with the cows.... he was a strange one probably on someones wall now with as much protein pellets he ate.....

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
our landowner has never failed to have the cows out by MZ season. this year he pulled them out in sept. we were all pumped up, got the feeders running, cameras going,etc. well, he put them back in. don't know if he was seperating the calves or what.

we were getting some really nice pics of bucks. then he put the cows back in. they busted up a couple of feeders and we have not taken a buck pic since.

last tues. i went over to the landowners house and he said they would be out by today. drove by there on my way home from hunting an another place. cows out and got feeders running finally.

my observation is that the deer will just go where cows are not present.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well for you dummies suggesting using pellet guns and sling shots. I can tell you one thing, if gramps caught any SOB's on our place shooting cattle with either one that would be the last time they hunted there!

If a landowner is nice enough to let you hunt a place, don't look a gift horse in the mouth! DEAL WITH IT AND BE HAPPY ABOUT IT! Now if you are leasing property, you might wanna consider nicely approaching the landowner about any problems you think could be resolved. I mean you are paying for the access.

As for feeders and cattle, we simply string a loose 3 wire, square enclosure around our tripod feeders. 4 t-posts, a little barb wire, and your done. Keeps the cattle out, deer can jump or crawl under it no problem and turkeys can walk under it also. I am sure most landowners would allow you to fence off 100 square feet of pasture to protect your feeder. We have no problem with it.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well for you dummies suggesting using pellet guns and sling shots. I can tell you one thing, if gramps caught any SOB's on our place shooting cattle with either one that would be the last time they hunted there!

Lighten up. This "dummie" was just joking around. Not sure about the other "dummie".

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our cattle never seem to affect the deer rotations but we have seen changing in the deer patterns when we move cattle, or add to the herd around hunting season... so we try not to do anything around hunting season to our herd but just feed them.... and deer get used to seeing farmers as well, same ole truck or tractor never seems to bother them much.... we had a young buck that used to come out and chase our truck when we were spreading pellets for the cows.... kinda funny to look back and he was running in the middle of the cows.... but he would stop and eat the protein pellets with the cows.... he was a strange one probably on someones wall now with as much protein pellets he ate.....

Lady that farmed and raised cattle in osage county a few years back had lots of pics of deer coming to the creep feed she put out every day. She had most of them named. She has passed away now, and her city boy son just sold the place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom