Getting a companion dog to take hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorta kinda. I had a deposit down on a Drahthaar puppy. I was #7 in line, but only had 3 puppies. Breeder told me at the beginning that if I didn’t get a pup from this litter that I could get one from the next litter or he would help me find a puppy from another breeder that he respects that fits my needs. Right now I’m trying to decide if I wanna wait until next spring for a puppy, or just go ahead with finding one now.
No interest in a shelter dog/puppy? There are all kinds.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
No interest in a shelter dog/puppy? There are all kinds.
I don’t. I want a purpose bred dog to take hunting, with a predictable health history, temperament, and bloodline. There’s plenty of good dogs in shelters, I know first hand from working as a dog catcher, but I also don’t want to leave things up to chance. Done that, been burned.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I brought the new puppy home yesterday.
725AB124-C9E3-4F23-8FD5-6C4077322F85.jpeg

His name is Clyde. He’s pretty great.

Although, the second I got home I kinda freaked out, thinking why did I get a dog, etc. I’ve wanted a dog since I lost my last one, but man, my brain is fighting me on this one. Anybody ever do that? I don’t know how to describe the feeling. I guess it’s like a bad overwhelmed?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clyde has cool like James Dean.
Check out Mike Ritland's dog training stuff.
It is amazin how a pup that size can leave an unbelievable number of bear sized poop piles and if you examine them you can find small remnants of things you did not know he destroyed.
Gus is a smartass back seat driver
IMG_20220511_105337_01.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although, the second I got home I kinda freaked out, thinking why did I get a dog, etc. I’ve wanted a dog since I lost my last one, but man, my brain is fighting me on this one. Anybody ever do that? I don’t know how to describe the feeling. I guess it’s like a bad overwhelmed?
Congrats on the pup! :thumb:
I can’t help you there, because my problem is wanting to bring every puppy I see home. My future nephew in law had been looking for a Boykin Spaniel, and I found him a litter on another message board. He finally picked up his pup a couple weeks ago, and every time I see him I want another Boykin for myself. His Dad went with him to pick up the pup and ended up going back and buying one too.

My wife keeps reminding me that I still have 3 kittens to finish raising and don’t need a puppy too. :censored:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DON’T put off getting a dog! Get you one and get going!

Squirrels, Coons, Possums and Rabbits don’t stand a chance! Will work cattle in the pasture or in the chutes like 6 men.

He ain’t worth sh#@ on birds, he just doesn’t want to jack with em. He will retrieve em if you get lucky to shoot, but he finds em scares em faster that I can get a shot off. Have not had a dog in over 30 years, I am pissed at myself for going so long without a buddy!

729F4D21-224F-4998-8847-8D109BC91BB6.png
EFF145A3-1557-48D4-94E9-271055E28A23.png

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I brought the new puppy home yesterday. View attachment 278617

I had the same feeling when I got my buddy. Before long you will wonder how you lived without a dog.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dang that’s a beautiful pup

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Don’t fret he’ll be a great friend

Latest posts

Top Bottom