Getting healthy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done both and like insanity better. It's a 60 day program vs. P90X 90 day program. With insanity you also do not have to use any weights or bars. I was approaching 40 years old a year in a half ago and was pushing 200 lbs. I made the change and dropped 45 lbs. A year and half later I'm still at 155 lbs. I went from a 35 waist to a 30. I can still bench 215 and I do pullups and crunch's every other day. I also still go 2 miles a day on the treadmill but I started off with 4 miles until I reached my desired weight. The diet change was the hardest part but I have not had a single soda in that time and hardly any sweets. It's funny because once my body started changing I really didn't want any of that. Now I eat yogurt, granola bars, Kashi cereal, fruit, and a lot of nuts. Only drink low fat milk and water, nothing else. I literally look and feel better than when I was 20.

Good luck to those of you and remember it's a marathon not a race. Don't get discouraged and stick with it and you will see results.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which do you like better?

I really like Insanity alot, it is a great Cardio workout, I have the bonus DVD's for the upper body workout as well.

P90X is completely different, this morning I did the Chest and Back routine, first time in a couple of decades that I have almost puked during a workout.....

P90X is more focused on specific body parts, Chest and Back, Plyometrics(like Insanity), Shoulders, and Arms, Legs and Back, working in some Yoga, and Kenpo. I like the way I did it, and would encourage anyone to do Insanity first, then P90X.

Skip the fit tests unless you need it for your own motivation, do get a heart rate monitor and track your progress, also take before and after pics, you will be amazed.....

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insanity is awesome. Between that, spinning and cycling outdoors (when possible) I dropped 20lbs over the winter. Now that I'm racing this year I just ride most of the time. However, Insanity is most definitely going to be my off-season workout of choice going forward.

Good job to you guys for getting healthy and caring about your bodies and health. Stick with it.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations to all who decided to make a change. I wish everyone the best in their endeavors.

I'm pushing 50 - just a few months away now. I quit smoking about 5 months ago which was, off and on, a 32 year habit. I have cut down to 2 cups of coffee a day - really is a cut back, I was drinking 6 or more cups a day before. I started drinking more water and, I'm trying to eat better. Soda is tough - I have cut back a little on that but that still needs more work.

I've never been over weight - I'm 5'10" and "yo-yo" between 150 and 160 lbs. But, like BettingPython, I wind easily. My wife and I are both going to start P90X soon. That will be interesting. I am almost out of breath thinking about it!

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations to all who decided to make a change. I wish everyone the best in their endeavors.

I'm pushing 50 - just a few months away now. I quit smoking about 5 months ago which was, off and on, a 32 year habit. I have cut down to 2 cups of coffee a day - really is a cut back, I was drinking 6 or more cups a day before. I started drinking more water and, I'm trying to eat better. Soda is tough - I have cut back a little on that but that still needs more work.

I've never been over weight - I'm 5'10" and "yo-yo" between 150 and 160 lbs. But, like BettingPython, I wind easily. My wife and I are both going to start P90X soon. That will be interesting. I am almost out of breath thinking about it!

I turned 50 last month, you can do it!!

Take it slow, I have a hard time slowing down, the heart rate monitor helps me see that I am getting the benefit from the workout even if I'm not keeping up....

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I turned 50 last month, you can do it!!

Take it slow, I have a hard time slowing down, the heart rate monitor helps me see that I am getting the benefit from the workout even if I'm not keeping up....

Thanks for the encouragement. I am looking forward to it on some level. Dreading it on some level, too.

When the SHTF, all those who have been working out will be grateful they did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom