Getting healthy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only advice I have when you start P90... go at your own pace... don't try to keep up...

another thing, if you do the classic P90x, you will build muscle

try the lean

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on your choice. You can make the change long lasting. A good workout partner helps a lot.

3 years ago (I'm 41 now) I decided I wanted to go backcountry bowhunting for elk. I hadn't worked out since high school and although I wasn't really overweight I was in terrible shape. A guy a work took me under his wing and we started training.

When I started I could not run a 1/4 mile even at a very slow pace. I did 180 days of P90x at home in the evenings and we ran and ran stairs at lunch. I dropped 20 pounds. I worked hard for 8 months and then hit the mountains (10,000 ft+) with a 65 pound pack. I got my butt kicked bad.

I continued running through the winter and that spring I ran my first 5k in 25:09.

I joined a gym and started lifting more seriously. Still working hard on the running and stairs. Again that fall I hit the mountains. This time I could go farther and faster than the other 5 guys in camp. 7 days of hunting with several of those days where my legs were burning and my heart rate was pushing max for hours on end. I was in pretty decent shape. Although the mountains still kicked my butt.

In the spring I ran my 2nd 5k in 23:42.

Last year I continued lifting and running, but no elk hunting due to lack of vacation. I decided I wanted to run a marathon. I started building up my mileage last fall and started training seriously in December. My old body didn't want to cooperate. I struggled with shin splints, Achiillies tendon, and IT band injuries, but I was able to get everything healed up and I am on my last week of training.

I will be running the OKC Memorial marathon on May1.

I can guarantee you that 3 years ago I would have never guessed I could ever run 26 miles. I still have to do it, but I'm feeling very confident with several long runs under my belt.

I feel better now than I did when I was 20 years old.

The best of luck to you!!

When you think of skipping that workout remember it seems to suck right then but if you go do that workout you will always be glad you did. Theonly workouts you regret are the ones you don't do.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With the neck injury ,a Ulnar nerve damage, walking is about it, along with mild isometrics. It sucks getting old, and being broke. Max lifting is 25lbs, same for pushing and draging, no ladders, and prescription shoe inserts. I can ride a bike, but as with driving I have to wear a soft C-brace. Guys consider yourselves lucky!

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats to all you guys are the accomplishments and hard work. I would 2nd the comment about the only workouts you regret are the ones you don't do, I just don't feel right if I miss a workout.

Good luck on the run Jim, it's business as usual, just a little bit further than normal.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jim771 - Great to see how much progress you made especially running - My wife wants to run the Tulsa run in October and we are working on it. Used to smoke 2 packs a day, but now after about 6 months of p90x I can go about 1.5 miles maybe more if I push it. Hopefully we will both make it by October.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jim771 - Great to see how much progress you made especially running - My wife wants to run the Tulsa run in October and we are working on it. Used to smoke 2 packs a day, but now after about 6 months of p90x I can go about 1.5 miles maybe more if I push it. Hopefully we will both make it by October.

That's awesome! I hear the Tulsa run is a lot of fun. 6 months of P90x is very impressive! Keep it up and you'll make it - no problem.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For any of you interested in doing a 5k - the Full Moon 5k (here in Tulsa) is on May 14th.
It is an evening run and after the run there is BEER and a concert. Lots of fun.:drink:

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago I had to alter my diet to cut out foods to which I am allergic (corn, soy, pork, wheat, peanuts, eggs... yes, it sucks). As a result, I lost about 15 pounds over the course or two years or so because I was eating better, and because I cut out most of the soda I was drinking. High fructose corn syrup is horrid, horrid stuff.

Mid February I started the "atkins style" low carb diet after a whole bunch of research as to the how and why it works. To date, I'm down about 22 pounds and I haven't felt this good in years. Since I'm still working on the "induction phase" of the diet, the vast majority of my weight loss has been pure fat, and I feel that I'm actually putting on muscle as well, likely due to the increased energy levels and my recent compulsion to start doing push-ups again. I've had asthma since I was a toddler, and the lost pounds have helped quite a lot with that as well. I can't say with the ketosis diet is directly affecting it or if it's pure the lost weight, but either way, it's a welcomed change.

The difficult part? I've had to drill two new holes in my belt and my holster now sags if I'm not careful. :)

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we can't get a Health and Fitness forum maybe we should use this thread....

Did everyone work out today?

I flew to Dallas and back today, got home, really sore from doing P90X Chest and Back yesterday, next in the rotation was Plyometrics, I wanted more cardio so I did Insanity Pure Cardio instead....38 minutes, max HR 152, AVG HR 125, in the zone for 34 minutes....not bad for an old fart...

Latest posts

Top Bottom