Getting healthy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just getting started. Trying to clean up my diet first, I'm using an android app called MyFitnessPal that makes it super easy to count calories both consumed and burned. I started about 2 weeks ago and the app says I should be around 1600-1700 a day if I want to maintain a caloric deficiency that will allow me to lose 2 pounds a week. I lost 8 or 9 pounds the first week, probably from cutting way back on soda and sugars. It's going a little slower now, but the doc says losing it slow is better for you and easier to maintain then dropping 20 pounds in a month so hopefully he's right - this is definitely the healthiest I've ever eaten for this long and it's getting easier everyday.

It's time to put my gym membership to work now, a buddy burned the P90X dvds for me too but I don't know that I'm ready to tackle that just yet, I'm a fat boy. Might start out with some circuit training and cardio at the gym before I try to dive into those crazy workouts. I would REALLY like to get into good enough shape to start training bjj again - I did it for a very short time and loved it but my body was not able, I hurt myself a couple ways pretty fast.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we can't get a Health and Fitness forum maybe we should use this thread....

Did everyone work out today?

I flew to Dallas and back today, got home, really sore from doing P90X Chest and Back yesterday, next in the rotation was Plyometrics, I wanted more cardio so I did Insanity Pure Cardio instead....38 minutes, max HR 152, AVG HR 125, in the zone for 34 minutes....not bad for an old fart...

I'm thinking if you did ab ripperx 5 times a week, you'd be GTG...

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we can't get a Health and Fitness forum maybe we should use this thread....

Did everyone work out today?

I flew to Dallas and back today, got home, really sore from doing P90X Chest and Back yesterday, next in the rotation was Plyometrics, I wanted more cardio so I did Insanity Pure Cardio instead....38 minutes, max HR 152, AVG HR 125, in the zone for 34 minutes....not bad for an old fart...

Sweet. Good job.

I did the weekly Wednesday Night Ride. 32 miles of race-pace cycling. Tons of fun. 1hr31min, max HR 186, avg HR 157 and 1247 calories burned (allegedly).

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is not a big fitness freak, so I have to be careful with how I approach things. Lately we have been walking 5 days a week. She carries my daughter in a wrap and I tow my son in the Radio Flyer. We usually get in a couple miles each time. This gives her some exercise, but conceals it as family time so she doesn't get all bent out of shape and awkward about it.

We don't calorie count, but since moving back to Tulsa last year we have have been able to eat more at home. Simply preparing your own food makes things mucho healthier, especially with you live off the grill for 10 months of the year. Chicken breast, lean pork (like loin and tenderloin), fish, occasional lean beef (like sirloin) and lots of fresh vegetables actually trim your calories pretty well on their own. Got rid of all cream-based salad dressings as well as they are just liquid fat calories.

I worked from home which coworkers thought would cause me to snack constantly. In fact, I ate healthier at home and lost 15 pounds last year. I am still around 190 (at 5'10") but this summer I plan to drop a pound a week (May through September) to get down to 165-170. That should be a good weight for my height.

The thread has inspired me to make a small change today. I drink an occasional soda (3-5 a week) but also iced coffee (McDonald's over-sugared and delicious!) and sweet tea. Going forward, nothing more than water and black coffee for me. Period. Beer and liquor only on the weekends/holidays/vacations :)

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a month since I smoked now and I have managed to drop 8 pounds in the last 5 weeks.

Good for you! I wish I'd done that. I quit a 40+ year habit 3 years ago and have gained 40 pounds since then. To be honest I think I felt better smoking and lighter than I feel smoke free and heavier. :(

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been surprised by reading nutrion labels, focusing mostly on carbs and sat. fat grams. A lot of the food that I thought was healthy is not. Cereal is one of them. Also try to avoid the words "enriched" and "saturated" in ingredients.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's cleaning out your system! The all oats one give me gas too. I like the brand flakes with blueberry the best. My snacks consist of yogurt, almonds, beef jerky, kashi granola bars, wheat thins reduced fat crackers with cheese, and a lot of fruit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom