Getting healthy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've recently decided that a commitment to live healthy is one I need to make. I was drinking very little water and using Coke instead at around 5 cans a day. This combined with eating out too much (and eating only what I wanted) and a job that has me sitting down most of the time had pushed my weight up to 194. More weight that I want to carry around and a larger belly than I want for sure too.

I've replaced the coke with water and am now drinking 2 Coke's a day and I usually down 2+ 20 oz water bottles sipping on them all day. Added some milk and orange juice as well. I went from eating a Jimmy Dean sausage breakfast sandwich every morning to eating cereal with good fiber content. I've added some vegetables and fruit and cut the eating out to about half of what I was doing. I've got much more to do, but for a start I'm feeling good about it. In the past couple of weeks I've dropped to 186 pounds. I need to keep moving ahead with diet improvements and work on exercise next.

Thanks,

Alan

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I turned 40 in February. I decided that I needed to do something, as my belly was getting larger by the day it seemed. If you want a reality check take a picture of yourself. Wow. Anyway, my wife and I joined a gym and I go every other day. 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training. I have only lost a couple of pounds, but I have lost over 2 inches in my waist. My love handles are almost gone and I can see a definite difference in my belly. I also started drinking a protein shake after every work out and starting eating right. The hardest part of eating right is doing it when you go out, and everyone else gets the cheese burger, not for me, chicken ceasar salad please! I also drink more water and my snacks in the evening consist of an apple or cottage cheese.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've recently decided that a commitment to live healthy is one I need to make. I was drinking very little water and using Coke instead at around 5 cans a day. This combined with eating out too much (and eating only what I wanted) and a job that has me sitting down most of the time had pushed my weight up to 194. More weight that I want to carry around and a larger belly than I want for sure too.

I've replaced the coke with water and am now drinking 2 Coke's a day and I usually down 2+ 20 oz water bottles sipping on them all day. Added some milk and orange juice as well. I went from eating a Jimmy Dean sausage breakfast sandwich every morning to eating cereal with good fiber content. I've added some vegetables and fruit and cut the eating out to about half of what I was doing. I've got much more to do, but for a start I'm feeling good about it. In the past couple of weeks I've dropped to 186 pounds. I need to keep moving ahead with diet improvements and work on exercise next.

Thanks,

Alan

Coke zero is an awesome replacement for coke and doesn't have the nasty diet taste.
Also if you buy sparkling water and add crystal light it will give you that carbonated beverage satisfaction.

Ill update.

I am still going. I ran my first 5k 2 months ago with a time of 27:23. I stopped running but maintained the diet a month ago since my time went to none between having a son and taking my medical boards. My weight loss slowed but I am still losing. I just started running again since time now allows for it again.

I started at 218, currently 165, dropped 38-40" to 32-33" and down from a L-XL to M. My neck went from 17" to 15.5"

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never realized there were so many losers on the board. Congrats guys. I lost 10 pounds ina week when I hit the ER in gallstone pain. Stopped drinking ALL sody-pop from that day forward, I'm coke free.

I guess that makes me a loser and a quitter... ;)

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never realized there were so many losers on the board. Congrats guys. I lost 10 pounds ina week when I hit the ER in gallstone pain. Stopped drinking ALL sody-pop from that day forward, I'm coke free.

I guess that makes me a loser and a quitter... ;)

Kidney stones made a beliver out of me.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I can make a real reply here since I quit 'basin. I'm not overweight but that does not imply I'm in good shape. I live a fairly active lifestyle but I could do a lot better.

I've ran off and on for a long time but I HATE running because IT SUCKS AND HURTS AND IS STUPID and I always quit when temps flirt with triple digits. When you quit for a while you atrophy and go back to square one way faster than it took you to get in shape. I hate working out inside or in a gym, and I hate running, so I decided to pick up a good road bike. Riding it is actually fun and seems to be something I can stick with unlike running which I look for excuses to stop. I'm starting with semi-short routes daily and 1-2 off days a week - probably for another month or so until I get somewhat used to being on a bike. Then I'll start adding distance/time/hills/speed.

Goals are just to get more cardio exercise and get & keep my legs stronger so long/steep hikes and hunting don't kick my ass.

So now I am going to incorporate bike riding into my regime, one thing I need to fix though is the seat, even though the bike has a gel pad after the ride last night my butt hurt so bad. So does anyone have any recommendations for a good bicycle seat?

You're going to have a case of the butthurt until your body gets used to being on the bike regardless, but the general consensus is gel seats suck and are a gimmick; I've never seen anyone who rides a lot with one. I'd talk to a serious cyclist like Seth or MaddSkillz on the board for better advice than I could give, or go to the bike shop and get a good seat and make sure it's adjusted right.

Good padded bike shorts make a huge difference. I wear mountain bike shorts or similar because I'm not hardcore enough to bare my lycra-clad ass to the world yet.

:preocc:

Latest posts

Top Bottom