Getting rid of blackberry bushes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
Depending how much area you need to treat...I would suggest you use a good herbicide and follow the direction for that herbicide. I have used remedey herbicide for years and it kills hedge stumps and standing trees. Follow the directions on the label and DON'T spray anything you don't want to kill. Takes a while but it works.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My flamethrower recommendation wasn't literal in the sense that it would eliminate blackberries. It's like a new gun some need justification to get another gun.

Besides that they are fun!
View attachment 352205
Nobody gives a crap about the danged flame thrower!

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My local CO OP told me to try Patriot, it isn't cheap. It worked 1 year and they started back the next spring. After more conversation they said a brush hog is about the only sure way to rid them but you have to cut them early and stay with it, don't let'm get waist tall. I'm on the 4th year and am finally getting a 4 acre patch clear of about 90% of them. Goat head stickers are what I'm fighting now.. They are of the devil.. I've tried nearly everything, even salt & vinegar. The come right back. Surflan in what I'm trying next but my Co op doesn't have any.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My local CO OP told me to try Patriot, it isn't cheap. It worked 1 year and they started back the next spring. After more conversation they said a brush hog is about the only sure way to rid them but you have to cut them early and stay with it, don't let'm get waist tall. I'm on the 4th year and am finally getting a 4 acre patch clear of about 90% of them. Goat head stickers are what I'm fighting now.. They are of the devil.. I've tried nearly everything, even salt & vinegar. The come right back. Surflan in what I'm trying next but my Co op doesn't have any.
Pastora is supposed to work on sand burrs, but I’ve never had much luck with it. MSMA will kill them, and it’s back on the market thanks to Trump, but it’s only labeled for use on (IIRC) golf courses and maybe lawns, so I haven’t been able to use it on my stickers.

Supposedly, a well-tended lawn will choke them out, as they’re not at all shade tolerant. I do know that my place has had them between the road and the fenceline, but they never grow inside the treeline (which is about where the fence is).

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You find any surflan let me know. It hasn’t been available for several years. I was told the plant burned down. Damn if I know, but I do know it would kill grass/sand burs in a single application.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pastora is supposed to work on sand burrs, but I’ve never had much luck with it. MSMA will kill them, and it’s back on the market thanks to Trump, but it’s only labeled for use on (IIRC) golf courses and maybe lawns, so I haven’t been able to use it on my stickers.

Supposedly, a well-tended lawn will choke them out, as they’re not at all shade tolerant. I do know that my place has had them between the road and the fenceline, but they never grow inside the treeline (which is about where the fence is).

Pretty easy to control in yards, it just takes time.

Lost forage in pastures is where sand burs are the most costly and most difficult to control. There was a bumper crop last year because the grass crop was so poor because of lack of moisture. A healthy thick grass yard is an excellent preventative.

Pastora kills the plant, not the seed. You have to kill the seed when it tries to germinate, which can take 5-7 years to get them all, but you have to stop the plant from sprouting because then you have more seed. It takes a double attack on both seed and plant, and most of all it takes patience and perseverance. Pre-emergent that dwells in the soil and something like pastura to kill the plant. Sometimes it takes a couple applications of both at different times of the year. Control is not easy.

Fire is a good tool, as long as you have enough fuel to completely consume the seed. If you don’t it will only make them worse.

I got no clue on goatheads. Except I’ve had them go all the way thru a hunting boot and poke a hole in my foot. They are, as someone said, “of the devil”.

Latest posts

Top Bottom