Glock Baseplate removal. Is it possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to get really rough with it,don't worry it won't break.If you were here in Tulsa I'd do it for you,it takes about 2 seconds.I use my Glock tool but a punch will work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got one off. I think that the video would be a viral hit just for the language I was using!!

Tried the second one. Still a no go. Baseplate is still firmly attached, floorplate is tilted sideways in the mag and a two inch piece of metal dowel is in there somewhere.

Just so you don't think I've been easy on the mags. Or myself.

ai53.tinypic.com_2ccp891.jpg

I think I'll stop for a while.

Dave

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry man, I never had a issue with getting any of my plates off. Are you the original owner of those mags. not a chance that someone maybe glued them on by chance it there?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry man, I never had a issue with getting any of my plates off. Are you the original owner of those mags. not a chance that someone maybe glued them on by chance it there?

No, they were fresh out of the packaging. I thought about the possibility of glue, but when the baseplates FINALLY came off, there was no evidence of it.

More frustrating than anything. I guess I'm spoiled by the Uzi mags. Now those are easy to strip apart!!

Course, it would be just my luck to find out that I put the followers and springs in backwards!!!!

Dave

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The easiest way is to put the mags and the glock back into the box, then put ad on OSA, soon after you sell the glock...go buy a Springfield XD or XDm.
Its much quicker than removing glock baseplates.

HAHA

(not hating on glocks, I like em a lil...)

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, they were fresh out of the packaging. I thought about the possibility of glue, but when the baseplates FINALLY came off, there was no evidence of it.

More frustrating than anything. I guess I'm spoiled by the Uzi mags. Now those are easy to strip apart!!

Course, it would be just my luck to find out that I put the followers and springs in backwards!!!!

Dave

Glock or Kci?

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
get a good punch, or thin shank phillips screw driver and just like OlYeller said, use it as a lever to pull them off.

They aren't that difficult. just tricky. Definately can't be holding your purse while trying it.

Trying to get teh edge of that floor plate on a hard surface is almost futile. Having a long punch in the hole gives you a little security. The pressure applied usually results in your hands traveling in different directions at a rapid pace. This will end in one or two of the following ways. One you imbed the punch in your hand and cuss. Two you don't imbed the punch in your hand but instead still cuss while looking for all the components that were inside your magazine. Three, all of the above.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Gawd wanted you to have longer mags he would have you purchase a 19. or at least a 19 mag

That said I really like Glocks. Now THAT stated I hate removing the floor plates and rarely have to do it. The below is how I do it and it is the sissy way and I do not endorse it for any of the he-men here or to any other - YMMV

Two ways that I remove floor plates from Glock mags.

1. Wrap the end of the mag close to the floor plate with a rag. Lightly clamp vise-grips down on it.
2. same as above but use a vise.

The secret is to squeeze the sides of the mag near the floor plate as you are trying to slide the floor plate off Not only does it work it is to easy when using the third hand as stated above.

Note only apply enough pressure to get the plate off. I have never ruined a mag tube and been doing this since 90. Just take your time and go slow with the pressure.

Again I do not expect any to have my results nor do I recommend this method to others. This is how I do it. YMMV

Jerry

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If Gawd wanted you to have longer mags he would have you purchase a 19. or at least a 19 mag

That said I really like Glocks. Now THAT stated I hate removing the floor plates and rarely have to do it. The below is how I do it and it is the sissy way and I do not endorse it for any of the he-men here or to any other - YMMV

Two ways that I remove floor plates from Glock mags.

1. Wrap the end of the mag close to the floor plate with a rag. Lightly clamp vise-grips down on it.
2. same as above but use a vise.

The secret is to squeeze the sides of the mag near the floor plate as you are trying to slide the floor plate off Not only does it work it is to easy when using the third hand as stated above.

Note only apply enough pressure to get the plate off. I have never ruined a mag tube and been doing this since 90. Just take your time and go slow with the pressure.

Again I do not expect any to have my results nor do I recommend this method to others. This is how I do it. YMMV

Jerry

Actually, this wasn't to increase the mag capacity. These mags are G26s and I was able to score a few fingertip extensions for the mags. Was trying to put those on.

I usually have plenty of G19/17 and even a 33 or two as accessory mags. Takes forever to unload 32 rounds from these guys, but the thought of a G18mag sticking out the stack on a G26 is enough to make me smile.

Yes, these were factory glock mags.

I usually would use a centerpunch, C-clamp and alot of cussing and spitting.

These were the toughest I've ever encountered. Dern Glad it's over.

A few years back, I seem to recall someone had a tool that you slid down over the glock mag that squeezed the sides for you easily. All you had to do was slide it over the mag to the bottom, flip the mag, insert your punch and away came the baseplate.

Don't remember where that mag baseplate tool was from, but I might need to invest in one!!!

Dave.

Latest posts

Top Bottom