Going on a public land hog hunt this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which area should I go to, among these:

-Love Valley
-Hickory Creek
-Fobb Bottom

-Waurika

-Blue River
-Tishimingo
-Texoma-Washita Arm

-Chickasaw Nat'l Recreation Area (no hunting allowed here is there?)

I'm assuming one of the first 3 would be best? Where's a good place to go within one of these areas - any tips? Where to park, where to camp, where to go? Any help is appreciated - never tried a public land hog hunt before now. Gonna primitive camp 1 night.

It's rabbit season through March 15th, so I'm assuming I can still hunt hogs if I have a bow, rimfire, or shotgun- BB or smaller. Gonna run with bow or .22 magnum with 50 grain federals behind the ear, I guess. Probably the latter.

Do any of those lands I mentioned prohibit hog hunting?

Reaction score
Hmmm, well I was told by a game warden that it's limited to same thing useable on squirrels & rabbits, which is rimfire or BB shot or smaller. Are you sure it's ok to use a centerfire for hogs on public lands this weekend?

In any event, where should I go?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, well I was told by a game warden that it's limited to same thing useable on squirrels & rabbits, which is rimfire or BB shot or smaller. Are you sure it's ok to use a centerfire for hogs on public lands this weekend?

In any event, where should I go?

That may be a restriction of a specific WMA. Coyote season is open year round. If you check the regs they have a rules specific to each WMA. As long as those regs do not prohibit the use of rifles, then yes they are legal.

If you are in doubt, the regs list a number to call for each WMA for more info.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/publiclands.pdf

As far as where to go, I've never been there but I've heard alot about your first three areas listed.

Good luck, send back reports and pics

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been to Love Valley a couple of times. There are hogs on it, but after a good rain, it isn't very friendly for walking. The mud sticking to your boots will make you 5-6 inches taller. A trick that helps for a little is to coat your boot bottoms with vaseline.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can hunt in the Chickasaw National Park...

If you plan to go down there, let me know and I can give you a really good deal on my lake house that I rent out down there.

http://www.nps.gov/chic/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

Most state hunting regulations are applicable in Chickasaw National Recreation Area with the following exceptions or items of special emphasis:

The use of artificial light to view wildlife is prohibited.
Baiting of wildlife is also prohibited.
Feral hogs may be taken year round in compliance with state regulations.
All tree stands must be portable.
Damage to trees such as cutting limbs and using nails or screws is prohibited.
Tree stands unattended for more than 36 hours will be considered abandoned property and subject to removal by the National Park Service.
Hunters must have a valid Oklahoma hunting license

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those first three are all lined up east to west near each other. If your not seeing much hog sign, it would not be difficult to just pick up and move to another area. Also, do not rule out the corps land in between those three hunting areas. So I would say any of the first three, but be mobile on the first day to scout, then light where you saw the most potential.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can hunt in the Chickasaw National Park...

If you plan to go down there, let me know and I can give you a really good deal on my lake house that I rent out down there.

Gmar,
With your lake house rental, what is the policy on someone with a gun dog?
Might be interested next fall in what you have to offer. I have a hard time finding places to stay that allow a hunting dog, even a crated one.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gmar,
With your lake house rental, what is the policy on someone with a gun dog?
Might be interested next fall in what you have to offer. I have a hard time finding places to stay that allow a hunting dog, even a crated one.

We don't normally allow pets for the normal public but for a fellow OSA'r I would make an exception. The house only has woodfloors and tile, so its not like they can do too much damage.

The only problem is that we have the house up for sale, so I'm not sure if we'll still have available next fall. Just check back with me when it gets closer to time and we can go from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom