Going on a public land hog hunt this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
PM sent to gmar re cabin - we are interested!

Talked to 3 game wardens yesterday/today re: WMA-specific regs:

The fellow from Jefferson county said that Waurika (which is in Stevens, Jefferson, and Cotton counties) has the (stupid - my word, not his) rule of "rimfire or shotgun, BB or smaller only" for feral pigs. Quite a few pigs there.

But the gentleman from Love county said ordinary centerfires are fine for Love Valley & Hickory Creek (he wasn't sure about Fobb Bottom - not his area). He said the limit on hogs is all you can carry plus one. :)

The gentleman from Garvin county said he's not 100% sure, but he's pretty sure that in the Chickasaw Nat'l Recreation Area, you can use your centerfire rifle, *except* during turkey season, where you have to have something legal for turkeys.

Still haven't called yet or looked up re: Blue River, Texoma-Washita, and Tishimingo.

Think we're gonna go EITHER to Love Valley/Hickory Creek, OR to Chickasaw Nat'l Recreation area - which one do you'ens recommend? Probably more hogs I'd guess in Love Valley, no? Glad we can use a centerfire rifle! If we go to Love Valley, which public campground on Lake Texhoma is closest/best to use for tent camping?

gmar, is the Murray County game warden the one in charge of Chickasaw, or is it a federal game warden or what? Thanks.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Game Warden for Love County is Bob Mullinox (sp?). He is a great guy. There have been a many times that he has come and talked with us while we were hunting. We always got to talking guns.

There are tons of hogs in all of those areas. The main issure is the underbrush that you have to deal with. Sometimes you are more than a mile away from the nearest road.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the recient rains be prepared for a muddy mess. Last time i went down to love valley it was after rains and we were sinking up to our shins. Ill have to lookat my maps to see where we hunted. We heard them but never could get a look at them

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. I went there many years ago with my parents and saw the sulphur springs, and so on. I'm thinking I read that it was downgraded from a National Park and the Chickasaws picked it up?? I don't know, just trying to connect the dots.

I've heard the same rumors about the tribe trying to buy the park but they haven't yet. It's still a National Park.

To Dr. Tad...we've talked on the phone. Did you happen to find out any additional info from the numbers I provided to you?

Latest posts

Top Bottom