Going on a public land hog hunt this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1big44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chickasaw National Recreation Area is my back yard, I hate to dissapoint, but I don't think I would make a trip here just to hunt pigs. You may find some, but the public land is not known to hold many. If you do decide to visit give me a shout and I'll try to point you in the right direction. You might could find some in the less visited areas.

As of the last year or so not too many pigs in the area at all. Maybe we are thinning them down finally. I'm not saying they are gone, just not as many.

Wes

Reaction score
Thanks....had a good time, but results didn't really pan out. Saw a lot of sign in parts of Love Valley, but they looked anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months old, most of it. Saw some sign that looked as fresh as a couple of days to a week, but most was a month or two old it looked. We saw a few deer, of course (since they weren't in season) - and skunk, rabbits, ducks, crows, cormorants, & coyotes. No pigs. Did get to experience going through a swamp that wasn't visible on my aerial map, trying to get back to the pickup - that was a little chilly in March - was able to keep it to my crotch and down luckily. Nice weather though! :)

Note to self: Although in the interest of non-discrimination, the AR10 does deserve *some* hunting time, next time don't haul an 11-lb rifle if'n you're gonna make a 3-4 mile arc. This situation doesn't jive well with being over 40.

PS. I think some fawns have already dropped this spring - saw the cutest little 1.25" long, 1" wide deer tracks on hickory creek. I also determined that crows are way smarter than my little dog.

PPS. One place on Love Valley I stumbled upon looks like a fantastic duck-hunting heaven. I'm not a duck hunter, so PM me if you want to know where it is.

PPPS. I've decided I *really* prefer to hunt an area that has a signal to my I-phone, over one that does not. Not only can your buddies text or call when they need help hauling something out or when it's lunch break time, etc. - but mainly because I love having that aeriel view map with GPS locater on my phone at all times - yes, my stand-alone GPS unit *could* do and does roughly the same thing, but not as user-friendly manner, and not as small/light, not with actual aeriel view, and not with the phone in combination.

PPPPS. Can you shoot cormorants as a nuisance? Are they in fact a nuisance? - Do they adversely affect any game species' numbers?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks....had a good time, but results didn't really pan out. Saw a lot of sign in parts of Love Valley, but they looked anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months old, most of it. Saw some sign that looked as fresh as a couple of days to a week, but most was a month or two old it looked. We saw a few deer, of course (since they weren't in season) - and skunk, rabbits, ducks, crows, cormorants, & coyotes. No pigs. Did get to experience going through a swamp that wasn't visible on my aerial map, trying to get back to the pickup - that was a little chilly in March - was able to keep it to my crotch and down luckily. Nice weather though! :)

Note to self: Although in the interest of non-discrimination, the AR10 does deserve *some* hunting time, next time don't haul an 11-lb rifle if'n you're gonna make a 3-4 mile arc. This situation doesn't jive well with being over 40.

PS. I think some fawns have already dropped this spring - saw the cutest little 1.25" long, 1" wide deer tracks on hickory creek. I also determined that crows are way smarter than my little dog.

PPS. One place on Love Valley I stumbled upon looks like a fantastic duck-hunting heaven. I'm not a duck hunter, so PM me if you want to know where it is.

PPPS. I've decided I *really* prefer to hunt an area that has a signal to my I-phone, over one that does not. Not only can your buddies text or call when they need help hauling something out or when it's lunch break time, etc. - but mainly because I love having that aeriel view map with GPS locater on my phone at all times - yes, my stand-alone GPS unit *could* do and does roughly the same thing, but not as user-friendly manner, and not as small/light, not with actual aeriel view, and not with the phone in combination.

PPPPS. Can you shoot cormorants as a nuisance? Are they in fact a nuisance? - Do they adversely affect any game species' numbers?

Sounds like you had a good outing even though no hogs were seen. Its fun gettting to explore new country.
Unfortunatly, Cormorants cannot be taken.
Several years ago there was a big push on with petitions and all that to put a depredation season on them. I don't think it went very far.
I don't like em either. Especially when a squadron of them fly overhead, and crap all over you and your boat. :mad:

Reaction score
Yeah, starlings, grackles, turkey vultures, and cormorants - needs to be legal to shoot all you can find of these. Just like pigs, yotes, and beavers. And why in the heck is there a season and limit on crows, for that matter? Why is there a season - does someone eat them? And why any restrictions at all? They're numerous and hard to get a shot at, like coyotes.

Reaction score
And yeah, we had fun - love exploring a new place! :) Love valley is really nice in many spots. Beautiful. Love the fact that the flooding kills off a lot of the underbrush in some places - millions of trees yet you can still see for hundreds of yards through the trees in winter. You can actually take advantage of just sittin and glassing like you can in open/desert country. Hickory Creek was pretty nice too - reminded me of Cherokee a bit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, starlings, grackles, turkey vultures, and cormorants - needs to be legal to shoot all you can find of these. Just like pigs, yotes, and beavers. And why in the heck is there a season and limit on crows, for that matter? Why is there a season - does someone eat them? And why any restrictions at all? They're numerous and hard to get a shot at, like coyotes.

I'm ok with the buzzards. They are carrion eaters only, and pretty much help keep the dead skunks and other critters off of our road we drive down daily.

The starlings and redwing blackbirds come in clouds and can decimate my milo fields.

The crow is protected by an agreement with the european nations. It was a reciprocal thing. They would protect ducks with seasons if we would protect crows. They do eat them over there.
There are folks here in the US that eat them too. http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm
Some of the Scandanavian countries eat seagull.

I don't think I want to try either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom