Guns stolen from a gun safe? Ever happen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just curious about something, I finally got a nice gun safe last year, as opposed to the sheet metal gun lockers, and wondered if anyone has had their house broken into, with guns in a safe. Wondering if they tried to break into the safe, left the safe alone, or what. Figured someone on here has had it happen, or knows of people who had it happen to them.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd guess a safe would compel burglars to bypass it and concentrate on the more easily removed items. According to the DoJ statistics from 1994, 2001, and 2011, TV's, DVD players, jewelry, clothes, and furs were the most often stolen items during a house burglary, accounting for some 55-60% of the stolen property. Purses, wallets, cash, and credit cards accounted for 15-16%; firearms accounted for only 3-4%. Of the firearms stolen, more than 80% were handguns, and of those, only 1 in 5 were recovered.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
which is why safe placement and how it is secured to the substrate is every bit as important as the safe itself.

As important as all the above is keeping your collection as much a secret as possible. My friend sells gun safes. He estimates that gun thefts occur 97% of the time by people who are friends of or somehow acquainted with the gun owner.

I've done research on the subject. I remember one instance where the owner had a gun safe bolted to the floor, etc, and the thieves were able to knock holes in the walls, wrap a heavy chain around the safe, and used a heavy duty SUV to pull the safe, wall, etc, into the front yard. Then they got the safe into the truck and left.

I've seen pictures of safes that had been broken into. One was where the thieves used a circular saw and masonry blades and cut through the side. The hole they cut was big enough to get most of the collection out.

I've also seen safes where the doors were opened simply using crowbars.

The best safe is the one nobody knows about. Ditto gun collections.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious about something, I finally got a nice gun safe last year, as opposed to the sheet metal gun lockers, and wondered if anyone has had their house broken into, with guns in a safe. Wondering if they tried to break into the safe, left the safe alone, or what. Figured someone on here has had it happen, or knows of people who had it happen to them.

YES ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom