Guns stolen from a gun safe? Ever happen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As important as all the above is keeping your collection as much a secret as possible. My friend sells gun safes. He estimates that gun thefts occur 97% of the time by people who are friends of or somehow acquainted with the gun owner.

I've done research on the subject. I remember one instance where the owner had a gun safe bolted to the floor, etc, and the thieves were able to knock holes in the walls, wrap a heavy chain around the safe, and used a heavy duty SUV to pull the safe, wall, etc, into the front yard. Then they got the safe into the truck and left.

I've seen pictures of safes that had been broken into. One was where the thieves used a circular saw and masonry blades and cut through the side. The hole they cut was big enough to get most of the collection out.

I've also seen safes where the doors were opened simply using crowbars.

The best safe is the one nobody knows about. Ditto gun collections.

This..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the one that had guns stolen from a safe.

We were leaving on vacation, so I was removing the arsenal from the vehicle that would be left in an airport parking lot.

I'm guessing in the rush of leaving, I got distracted and didn't lock the door. Yep unlocked.

Have never recovered any of them, but the insurance did pay good.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
most common theft is
gun safe is in garage
truck is in garage
keys are in truck or easily found.
rock safe back and forth breaking anchors.
dump in bed of truck and go.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My house was burglarized in April. The safe door was pried on, but only damage was to the paint, and even that was extremely minor. It's a fairly cheap safe, but not sheet metal. Redhead brand.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best place I have seen a safe is in a closet. Friend of mine put his in a closet is such a way that it is cramped just to get into it. No way a crowbar could even be tried to open it. Not the fastest safe to get into, but it sure is safe.
After I got married I came home to my wife painting my safe to make it look "pretty". Safe was gun metal gray painted white so it blends in with the other cabinets. I was pissed at first but the more I looked at it the more it seemed to blend in with the other cabinets. I've had relatives walk right by it and not even notice it.
Given time and resources any safe can be breached, but most thieves don't even want to be in my house with the alarm going off...to damn loud!

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The best place I have seen a safe is in a closet.

In the closet is a good idea to keep it out of sight, but it's a small deterrent to a) someone who knows the safe/guns are in there and b) has the time to steal the guns.

Unless your friend built a custom framed in/rebar reinforced/wire mesh surrounded special closet, two 1/2 inch thick layers of drywall is nothing.

Again, it all depends on if they have the time. As you mention, if there is an alarm going off, etc, they likely won't stick around other than to grab what's handy.

Neil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Security is a function of time. Given enough time, a determined adversary will penetrate any defense.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main problem with taking the time to break into my gun safe is first you have to get past my Rottweiler then I might come home before you got it done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom