Has anyone ever had a dog who ate rat posion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heres hoping your buddy comes out of it ok.

My lil idiot Boston has eaten a few Terro ant bait traps but thats about it. He probably thinks its maple syrup. A little Borax to clean out his tummy.

Told my kids to make sure that all of their firecrackers went off and all spent fireworks packages were cleaned up off the ground before we let the dogs back in the yard last night so they wouldnt eat any fireworks.

Oh yea I can just immagine that....Cleaning up the piles before mowing when BANG and your covered in crap.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decon is a dose-dependant poison, hopefully he vomited up most of it, so his dosage should be small.
Decon works by binding vita-k. Vitamin K is necessary for the clotting cascade to work, so without it you continue to bleed. Rodents usually have intra-cranial bleeds (that's why they sometimes seizure). Dog's most common areas to bleed are mucous membranes, gums and nose.
Anyhow, replacing the vitamin K in his system corrects the problem, he should be good to go. I've treated dozens of cases over the years, they have all survived just fine!

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decon is a dose-dependant poison, hopefully he vomited up most of it, so his dosage should be small.
Decon works by binding vita-k. Vitamin K is necessary for the clotting cascade to work, so without it you continue to bleed. Rodents usually have intra-cranial bleeds (that's why they sometimes seizure). Dog's most common areas to bleed are mucous membranes, gums and nose.
Anyhow, replacing the vitamin K in his system corrects the problem, he should be good to go. I've treated dozens of cases over the years, they have all survived just fine!

So, are you a vet? Thanks for that info and I sure hope he is fine. He has been my buddy for 7yrs now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom