Hated to be that guy who complains but today I had my fill....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've long said that Wal-Mart, like McDonald's, could change it's slogan to "Wal-Mart, cuz f*ck, that's why." and not lose a bit of business.

They do seem to be getting worse. I only find myself in one about 2-3 time a year and hate myself after I leave. My God, the last one I went in was only a couple years old and it was FILTHY. Like disgustingly filthy and run down. Broekn carts, grime everywhere, nasty-ass people shuffling in a stupor about like some demented Monty Python skit.

Then you go to a store like Reasor's and it's clean as a whistle and people are falling all over themselves to be nice and help you. I'd much rather pay more for anything I could possibly buy at a store like that than patronize Wally World.

That's pretty funny RH.... I've been to DOZENS of WMs across the country, and I have been in a few like that. Maybe 3 or 4. Usually in very bad areas of a very large city.

But the vast vast majority of all the WM's I have been into have been clean and neat overall, much moreso than a lot of the "mom & pop" stores everyone thinks are the panacea of shopping. And I haven't found the employees in the small-town IGAs and Food Lions and Homelands to be any better trained, friendlier or smarter in general than the average WM employee I've interacted with.

I used to HATE going to WM... I mean HATE. During the first couple of years of our marriage, my wife had to do the shopping alone because I couldn't bring myself to spend an hour slogging though some monster warehouse looking for a box of teabags and a bag of sauerkraut. But after spending 3 years living overseas where we had no options and the "big box" store(s) left you exhausted from the commute, broke from the price-gouging or generally even more frustrated with the ineptitude and apathy and outright antagonism from the employees than I am here.

Now that I am back, I know what it's like to NOT have anything I wanted available on every streetcorner, and I appreciate the Home Depot, Lowes, and WM availability. I am glad they are here. I continue to patronize them and save money. If I want something with a much higher quality, I go where I need to go to get it... if I need something quick and it fits my needs, the local big-box stores suit me just fine.

I guess I'm just trailer-trash like everyone else who loves WM.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea it seems...the find everything in one store.....is CONVIENENT. I always walk through smiling and saying Hi to everyone,but thats just me. And Sometimes ...They smile back. I wonder if WM doesnt have dental plans for their employees. ;)

odie1

Marksman
Reaction score
I would have to chime in with the thought that I don't think it is so much Wal Mart, but people in general.

At the local WalMart I live near, there are good people, and.."others"

There is one employee in sportgoods and he is an absolute pleasure to deal with...will do just about anything for you if he can and has the time. Really like dealing with him. Usually buy a few things I may not need just because he is helping me.

On the other hand, there is a very popular sporting goods store right down the road, and I would rather have a root canal than deal with owner.. he can be the south end of a north bound horse......

Odie1

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty funny RH.... I've been to DOZENS of WMs across the country, and I have been in a few like that. Maybe 3 or 4. Usually in very bad areas of a very large city. But the vast vast majority of all the WM's I have been into have been clean and neat overall, much moreso than a lot of the "mom & pop" stores everyone thinks are the panacea of shopping. And I haven't found the employees in the small-town IGAs and Food Lions and Homelands to be any better trained, friendlier or smarter in general than the average WM employee I've interacted with.

Go to the Glenpool Wal-Mart and the go to the Reasor's grocery store in Jenks and you'll understand my view. The Wal-Mart in Glenpool is only a couple years old and it is filthy in comparison. Half a mile of registers and 3 cashiers is nice too.

Better yet, go to the Glenpool Wal-Mart on the first of the month. :D

I don't mind grocery/necessity shopping if the store is decent.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to the Glenpool Wal-Mart and the go to the Reasor's grocery store in Jenks and you'll understand my view. The Wal-Mart in Glenpool is only a couple years old and it is filthy in comparison.

Better yet, go to the Glenpool Wal-Mart on the first of the month. :D

Go
Like I said... my comparison is based on dozens of WMs all around the US, and probably hundreds of smaller grocery stores all around the US, as well as the local small-time and big-box offerings in at least 7 other countries in North America and Europe. I'm sorry your Glenpool Wal-Mart is such a disappointment to you. I would encourage you to express your feelings to the manager of your local store, and also to patronize some other place that suits your needs and desires better.

That's what I do, but what you do is obviously your own choice.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody has stated the real reason that Wal-Mart has been successful. Where's else can you go to buy an 870, toothpaste, mayo, razors, dogfood, a hunting lincense, and a pez dispenser in the same place? You pair that with the fact the people are just naturally lazy and, BANG, success.

Customer service is not integral to their success.
I agree.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said... my comparison is based on dozens of WMs all around the US, and probably hundreds of smaller grocery stores all around the US, as well as the local small-time and big-box offerings in at least 7 other countries in North America and Europe. I'm sorry your Glenpool Wal-Mart is such a disappointment to you. I would encourage you to express your feelings to the manager of your local store, and also to patronize some other place that suits your needs and desires better.

That's what I do, but what you do is obviously your own choice.

It's not mine, and no need to be sorry.

Maybe you're going to the wrong grocery stores? I understand your overseas comparison, but luckily we have more options here.

My mom was a retail manager for 30-something years, 20 of it at Wal-Mart, and she thinks the way the run the stores sucks and is only getting worse. My best friend escaped this year from Wal-Mart managerial prison and vowed never to set foot in one again. He has since admitted he has broken that vow once so far. The power of Wally World is too strong. :D

Like 870 said, Wal-Mart thrives for two reasons 1. It's convenient, and 2. It's cheap.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody has stated the real reason that Wal-Mart has been successful. Where's else can you go to buy an 870, toothpaste, mayo, razors, dogfood, a hunting lincense, and a pez dispenser in the same place? You pair that with the fact the people are just naturally lazy and, BANG, success.

Customer service is not integral to their success.
I'd agree with that 100%. I don't go to WM looking to be waited on or "served". The extent of my interaction with employees is usually to ask where something is (maybe every 3rd or 4th trip I have to do that for one item.... MAYBE), and to have someone ring up my purchases. Generally it works for me.

I don't go there expecting someone to sell me anything, to wait on me and find me the right size of anything, to follow me around asking if they can help me find anything or if I am doing ok, or any of the similar things I absolute HATE when I end up having to go to the mall (God forbid) for something. Most places I want to be left alone, and if I can't find something, I'll ask. Maybe that's why Wal-Mart works for me.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you're going to the wrong grocery stores?

I suppose. I have been in some that are clean, but to tell you the truth, almost none of the many many many smaller grocery stores I have been to have been able to hold a candle to WM, Meijer, Costco, Sam's, and SuperTarget (or Greatland) in terms of aisle width, shelves stocked, aisles labeled properly and visibly, clean floors and bright atmosphere, cool comfortable shopping environment and selection with value. People complain about the "quality", but honestly, a lot of the smaller stores I have shopped in have worse quality generic items than WM. I buy a lot of generic food items, and WM's selections on a whole seem better to me.

Some stores seem to really cater to the "high-end" crowd, people who want "organic" foods and such, most of which I find to be overpriced and no better quality (yes, I've tried quite a few), or to a niche market. I find many people who sniff and look down their noses when they claim they NEVER go to Wal-Mart, only to Whole Foods or some similar place. People ***** about WM's produce quality... I was there last night and bought all the fixin's for a great big salad. Quality was great. My lettuce was green and crisp, my cucumber was firm and crisp, tomatoes were sweet and juicy, mushrooms nice and firm, not soft or mushy... got a donut for my son, he loved it. I don't get what people are always bitching about... but it sure does make alot of people I have run into (not saying this is you, RH) feel much more superior and better about themselves to shop someplace alot more trendy and alot more expensive.

Personally, I prefer saving money. I used a good portion of that to buy a huge pallet of food at Sam's yesterday and delivered it to the local homeless shelter. My back killed me all night, but I feel good today, and I'm very grateful to have been blessed with the ability to do that. The people at the shelter where my wife volunteers were absolutely ecstatic and genuinely thankful. It's such a good feeling to help out. I wish I could do more. I wish we all could. But that's a whole other topic. My point is, I shop fairly frugally and I save some money, some of which I can use to help others. Places like WM and Sam's help me do that. I am grateful they are here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom