Help! Talk me out of getting into .308!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my Ruger Gunsite 308 Scout. It’s my main hunting rifle now even tho I have a 233 AR and 300BLK OUT AR. To me it comes down to what you are wanting to do with it. I use the same suppressor on all 3 but the 308 is the quietest if using subsonic ammo. I think probably because it’s bolt action. Also where I hunt most all my shots are under 100 yds.

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the last month I've sold an AR10 barrel in .308 and my Stag 10 in .308. Seriously thinking about buying another barrel to swap out in an AR10 I have with a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and then find a good bolt gun in .308. I had one bought last weekend, but ultimately found out that it was no longer available.

But what you guys really need is an AR in 450 Bushmaster . . . :)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t ignore the M1A.
As a deputy, I didn't carry the 870 because of the distances I might have had to shoot.
I used my M1A. You should see the eyeballs when the civies pass by at a road block. Especially with that bruiser sitting on the hood with the bipod unfolded.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep telling myself that the reason I finally gave in and got an AR 30-30 was for high cap magazines and faster follow up shots for hogs.

And an AR pistol makes more sense in .300 BLK to me than 5.56.
The last time I got in a pig covey rise I went three for three with my combo gun…308, buck shot, reload, and 308. :anyone:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I consolidated calibers years ago and I haven't really wanted to add calibers that I don't already have before now, but lately I've been tempted to get an AR-10.

I recently picked up a 8" .300 Blackout so I'm kinda thinking that I might as well get a .308 too.

I would be using it for the occasional deer or hog hunt at distances that I don't feel the 300 BLK wouldn't be adequate.

At this time I don't really have a great place to hunt but maybe that'll change before too long.
I have 4 of them, sooooo I'm going to help you spend your hard earned money on one ;)

.308 is on one of those rounds that any hand loader should have. Brass even during the manufactured pandemic could be found. I find more .308 and 5.56 lying on the ground at the gun club than I typically shoot that day. Some days I get lucky and find a gold mine of it lying around.

Load data for days, I'm sure you have something in your stash that you can drop into a case too.

You need some .308 in you life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom