Hey Tulsa Folks........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Tulsa Folks,

I really like your city!! First let me state that there are two cities in the U.S. that turn me bass ackwards.
One is Santa Fe, New Mexico and the other is Tulsa. If I get off on some side streets, I'd bet my life I was going South and find out I'm going West....beats all I've ever seen. Just these two cities, and it happens every time!!!

Went to the aquarium in Jenks(5th time) and as always....its nice,very nice. I just wish Bricktown in OKC would get an aquarium as good as your's.

Then we went to "The Farm" Shopping Center....51st and Sheridan area. Wife liked it but lots of shops were closed today(Sunday)....??? Next we drove down Peoria going toward Utica Square. Some cool little shops and what looked like some neat places to snack.

Utica Square, wife wanted to go to Saks 5th Ave. and Miss Jackson's but they were closed....again closed on Sunday??
Other shops in Utica were closed so we decided to eat at Pepper's. Good food...usually eat at Olive Garden in Utica Square but decided to try Pepper's.

Drove down Riverside Drive from Utica area(21st?) all the way to Jenks and the Turnpike.

All in all, it just re-affirmed that you guys(and gals) have a cool area to visit. The wife made me promise/forbid me from talking guns, seeing anyone related to guns, and no football. Did get to sneak a few peeks at Pepper's to see my Texans getting beat.

Have to admit, I'm thinking Tulsa is a classier city than OKC.....really, I've thought that for years.

Cohiba

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're glad to have you over for the day. :)

I like OKC too, but Tulsa does have a bit more of a smaller town feel to it in many ways that I appreciate.

Whenever I go to OKC, I always feel like there is just so much more over there (and there is in many ways). Between businesses and places to go, it's definitely got the bigger city feel to it especially when you really consider all of the metro area including Edmond, Norman, Moore, Yukon, etc... it's some serious real estate.

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love Tulsa. But then again, when I lived in Tulsa I always thought OKC was the better city. It's one of those, grass is always greener type of situations.

I've always liked Tulsa though, and I've grown to appreciate it a lot more than I ever did when I was in High School. I lived in Seattle for a few years, and most recently ~8 months or so after graduation. OKC seems to have a good middle ground. Seattle's Metro area is insane, OKC's doesn't even come close to it, but OKC is definitely more 'big city' than an area like Tulsa.

I've enjoyed living in both areas, but if you had to make me choose, I'd rather be in Tulsa at this point. My family is there, most of my friends are there, and overall, it just has a better feel to it for me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I consider myself a pretty directionaly oriented person, but I hear you on the getting turned around in Tulsa thing. I can navigate OKC better than my Garmin, but struggle in Tulsa.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been living up here since March, and I still have never been to the aquarium. My wife and I moved up here from OKC. I like the Tulsa area, but I think the downtown area needs some expanding. Brick town just has alot more stuff to do. Not to say there isn't cool things in the downtown Tulsa area, just more quantity of things to do in downtown OKC.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember that Tulsa is laid out in a grid. Everything is alphabetical and numerical. Citys East of the Mississippi are East of Main, Citys west are west of Main. So, Denver is west of Main, Detroit is East. Glad you liked your visit. As an employee of the power company here, I have spend many years navigating addresses.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still say Tulsa is the easiest city to navigate that I've been to.

I've been living up here since March, and I still have never been to the aquarium. My wife and I moved up here from OKC. I like the Tulsa area, but I think the downtown area needs some expanding. Brick town just has alot more stuff to do. Not to say there isn't cool things in the downtown Tulsa area, just more quantity of things to do in downtown OKC.

Downtown is really starting to take off again. I grew up here and I'm in my 20's, so all I remember is the post-oil bust downtown which was a complete ghost town until very recently. Most of the bars, apartments, shops and whatnot have only been there for ~5 years or less, or were closed and reopened within the last several years. Or they remained open but were basically dead until recently. Give it a few more years and it'll just keep getting better. The fact people are living there again after god knows how many years will really help.

Used to be you had to fend off crackheads in front of the Cain's, now its just drunk hipsters on bicycles leaving the Pony. When I was in high school you'd go down to catch a concert or something and see hardly anyone, and the people you did see were winos and crackheads and whatnot. You could drive every street at 8 p.m on a Friday night, and if there wasn't a big concert or event...you'd hardly see a car. I'm glad to see it being revitalized, because it used to be a bustling place, and the architecture and history is pretty cool for this part of the country.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I moved out here part time 8 years ago and I still split my time between my little cabin up on the mountain in northern California, Des Moines Iowa and when living here I have a home in a small town 20 miles east of Tulsa. My dad, mom and most of their family were all from Oklahoma so Ive been going back and forth between Oklahoma and California my whole life- my dad was out there from joining the Marines and being stationed near San Diego in the early 50s and my mom was out there in LA cause my grandfather took cattle from his ranch in Oklahoma to California with some other Oklahomans and stayed and did some character acting in western movies in the 30s and 40s was our main reason for being out there in the first place. I was born in San Diego. My paternal grandparents lived in OKC when I was growing up, my grandfather was an oilman, so I spent alot of time there as a kid.

When I started driving and would be in Oklahoma visiting we would go to OKC to party with friends as well as visit cousins and stuff in Edmond, Norman, etc. I was living in San Francisco at the time. I used to get lost as shite in OKC back then. Tulsa never has messed me up. I still dont get around so good in OKC.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OKC has got to be the easiest city to navigate in the country. Having been to every major city in the US and Canada at least a couple of times I can say that if you become disorientated here you've got a problem. The one city that was a pain to figure out was actually my hometown of Montreal. When I left as a kid everything was in English. The first time I came back some thirty years later driving a semi everything was in French. And naturally the town had grown much larger during those years. I learned that I could fit a 13'6" tall truck through a 4.1meter tall tunnel... but not by much. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom