How many of our members have ever had to react in self defense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCSteve19

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because of the careful consideration it takes to make a split second decision to know when to use a firearm in legal self-defense, I was just curious to know what happened and how you reacted and how many of us have had to pull our weapon and respond in self defense?

I personally have not had to thankfully.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The closest I have ever been to drawing on a person was clearing my shirt and putting my hand on my weapon. I had my son and daughter with me walking out of Braums and a homeless gentleman was being pretty persistent asking for something while approaching us. I stepped between him and the kids, told the kids to stand by the front bumper of my truck and put my right hand out in a "STOP" gesture (Im a lefty). He took 4-5 more steps and was getting close to being inside my comfort zone so I took a few steps back and slid my shirt behind my grip and placed my hand in a draw grip while keeping my right hand out in a stop gesture and raised my voice and adopted a command tone. He stopped in his tracks mumbling something and we got in the truck and left. On our way back by after running to the store, there was a police car with its lights on in the parking lot so Im guessing someone called the cops on him at some point.

That is the closest I have ever been and I don't care to get even that close again. I will say having the kids with me makes me far less interested in letting things play out and ending up in a hand to hand encounter. The kids also now know when I get that tone they need to keep me between them and the person I am talking to and stay a few feet behind me and alert in case the person has a partner.

Steve2020

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The closest I have ever been to drawing on a person was clearing my shirt and putting my hand on my weapon. I had my son and daughter with me walking out of Braums and a homeless gentleman was being pretty persistent asking for something while approaching us. I stepped between him and the kids, told the kids to stand by the front bumper of my truck and put my right hand out in a "STOP" gesture (Im a lefty). He took 4-5 more steps and was getting close to being inside my comfort zone so I took a few steps back and slid my shirt behind my grip and placed my hand in a draw grip while keeping my right hand out in a stop gesture and raised my voice and adopted a command tone. He stopped in his tracks mumbling something and we got in the truck and left. On our way back by after running to the store, there was a police car with its lights on in the parking lot so Im guessing someone called the cops on him at some point.

That is the closest I have ever been and I don't care to get even that close again. I will say having the kids with me makes me far less interested in letting things play out and ending up in a hand to hand encounter. The kids also now know when I get that tone they need to keep me between them and the person I am talking to and stay a few feet behind me and alert in case the person has a partner.
very good way to handle and I am glad everyone stayed safe

Steve2020

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

what braums location ?

Wes Noon

Marksman
Reaction score
I was the only one working at a convenience. A buddy was across the counter visiting with me about 3am. A van pulls up parallel to the front door (like they want to make a fast get-away). Guy gets out w/ his hand behind his back, my buddy said "He's got a gun!". I remove my handgun and take the safety off and lean on the counter w/ my gun out of sight. The guy enters the store with he hand still behind his back , about 10' from us, just inside the store and asks a question n broken English. But I can't understand him the first time and ask him to repeat it. He asks "Where is the interstate". The whole time I'm telling myself if his arm moves to come forward, I'm shooting him in the face. I mumble some directions and w/ my empty hand pointing w/o taking my eyes off him. He says Thank you and turns around to reveal he's holding a long neck beer bottle by the neck. My buddy said I turned white as a ghost. I was so scared I was going to either die or kill someone. Glad I didn't make a mistake and cost either of us a life.

Last edited:

Steve2020

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was the only one working at a convenience. A buddy was across the counter visiting with me about 3am. A van pulls up parallel to the front door (like they want to make a fast get-away). Guy gets out w/ his hand behind his back, my buddy said "He's got a gun!". I remove my handgun and take the safety off and lean on the counter w/ my gun out of sight. The guy enters the store with he hand still behind his back , about 10' from us, just inside the store and asks a question n broken English. But I can't understand him the first time and ask him to repeat it. He asks "Where is the interstate". I whole time I'm telling myself if his arm moves to come forward, I'm shooting him in the face. I mumble some directions and w/ my empty hand pointing w/o taking my eyes off him. He says Thank you and turns around to reveal he's holding a long neck beer bottle by the neck. My buddy said I turned white as a ghost. I was so scared I was going to either die or kill someone. Glad I didn't make a mistake and cost either of us a life.
that was a huge feeling of relief i'm sure

Steve2020

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was the only one working at a convenience. A buddy was across the counter visiting with me about 3am. A van pulls up parallel to the front door (like they want to make a fast get-away). Guy gets out w/ his hand behind his back, my buddy said "He's got a gun!". I remove my handgun and take the safety off and lean on the counter w/ my gun out of sight. The guy enters the store with he hand still behind his back , about 10' from us, just inside the store and asks a question n broken English. But I can't understand him the first time and ask him to repeat it. He asks "Where is the interstate". I whole time I'm telling myself if his arm moves to come forward, I'm shooting him in the face. I mumble some directions and w/ my empty hand pointing w/o taking my eyes off him. He says Thank you and turns around to reveal he's holding a long neck beer bottle by the neck. My buddy said I turned white as a ghost. I was so scared I was going to either die or kill someone. Glad I didn't make a mistake and cost either of us a life.
that was excellent preparation though

Latest posts

Top Bottom