How wells and aquifers really work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you deny women your essence?
I deny all of them except the one with my ring on her finger.

The jackwagon to the south of us decided to develop part of his land to a small neighborhood. While he was waiting for lots to actually sell, he tied the well on each lot together and pumped them into his pond so he could then use the water to irrigate his hemp plots. DEQ (I think) got in his business because the pond was designated as flood control a long time ago and he could not keep it artificially filled. He stopped pumping water to it and stopped growing hemp. Now that half the lots have sold and the first two houses are nearing completion, they are having drilling rigs come out trying to poke holes all over their 1/2 acre lots to find a decent well because the existing ones cant support than about 1.5gph based on what we are hearing from the owners.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn’t watch the entire video but All I can think about is the Ogallala Aquifer and how much center pivot irrigating we do on crops up here in the OK Panhandle. Scary to think about that someday it will be dried up.
Mistakes made again.

Perhaps if we weren’t growing corn in a desert it wouldn’t be such an issue, when milo can be grown on dry plots. But, I don’t entirely blame the farmers, they need to grow what pays the bills.

I just hope that change comes before the water dries up for everybody and makes the Plains barely habitable. But there seem to be pretty varying estimates on when that “drying up” may come.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mistakes made again.

Perhaps if we weren’t growing corn in a desert it wouldn’t be such an issue, when milo can be grown on dry plots. But, I don’t entirely blame the farmers, they need to grow what pays the bills.

I just hope that change comes before the water dries up for everybody and makes the Plains barely habitable. But there seem to be pretty varying estimates on when that “drying up” may come.
water doesn't dry up. it is in constant cycle. the areas of low rainfall are usually the most fertile. look at the average yearly rainfall in your area for the last decades in your area. you will see that there is little variation.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
water doesn't dry up. it is in constant cycle. the areas of low rainfall are usually the most fertile. look at the average yearly rainfall in your area for the last decades in your area. you will see that there is little variation.
It does when the water is from thousands of years ago and does not replenish in it’s lowest levels for that amount of time. I’m sure everybody who’s wells went dry or had to be drilled much deeper in only a few decades are all just misreading precipitation levels, as well as the Beaver River that went completely dry in a few years from groundwater irrigating.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does when the water is from thousands of years ago and does not replenish in it’s lowest levels for that amount of time. I’m sure everybody who’s wells went dry or had to be drilled much deeper in only a few decades are all just misreading precipitation levels, as well as the Beaver River that went completely dry in a few years from groundwater irrigating.
the water didn't disappear. the aquifer may have dried up or have been depleted by having it's source cut off or diverted. maybe the precip levels in that area won't keep up with depletion??? but the water even if it isn't in the river still exists. can you tell me for sure that it isn't normal for the beaver river to be dry? from time to time? what about the time maybe thousands of years ago ??? before the beaver river even existed?

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
the water didn't disappear. the aquifer may have dried up or have been depleted by having it's source cut off or diverted. maybe the precip levels in that area won't keep up with depletion??? but the water even if it isn't in the river still exists. can you tell me for sure that it isn't normal for the beaver river to be dry? from time to time? what about the time maybe thousands of years ago ??? before the beaver river even existed?
You seem to have some fallacious arguments. In that case, we should be very worried since the Midwest would appear to have once been entirely underwater.

If it took ten thousand or a hundred thousand years to deposit that water, or if it has been there since God made the Earth however long ago that was, and you pump it all out in a hundred, what happens then? It is indeed a system, a system for which only the uppermost parts are replenished within a ten- or hundred-year cycle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom