I’m gonna sound like the village idiot here, but…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a black panther is just a cougar, mountain lion, of unusual coloration. Cougar, mountain lion, panther, puma, are just names used in different parts of the country, for the same animal? I live near Tulsa, and have personally seen several cougars in this area over the years. Not very many years ago a cougar was caught in a guys back yard in Tulsa. This was shown on the local news. It had a lot of ticks on it, and was somewhat malnourished which let game and fish people to think it was, wild and not just someones pet! I don't know if they relesed it back into the wild, or took it to a Zoo? A guy that went to high school with my wife, is a wildlife biologist for the state of Arkansas. I ask him at a class reunion why the state of Arkansas wouldn't admit there are wild cougars in Arkansas? He said do you have any idea how much paperwork that would create?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a cougar in Creek County last night. Didn't take pics but I wrassled her down.

Cost you $20 and a trip to the clinic for penicillin?

My pond is 2 miles from Red River. I was finding large cat tracks 1 to 3 times a year. I have lost 2 calves and found tracks and blood.
Ex-S-i-L was riding 4-wheeler, went towards pond. Came back in hurry, saying there was a huge black panther on the dam.

I rode down the fence line and circled toward the pond. A very dark colored mountain lion was under the trees, watching me.

As soon as I stopped and started to draw my sidearm, it ran across the dam and down a draw. Never got a shot off.

Son got a couple of Pyrenees and we haven't seen tracks on 3 years.

Local GW has confirmed mountain lions moving along Red River and around the WMA.

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have Mountain lions and they are protected species, they are also called Cougars but they are tan with small heads hear. They species, along with others were wiped out during the settlement of the prairies and the lions/cougars re-established themselves on their own. At 10 in a leakey army pup tent next to a river full of water moccasins, the sound of a Cougar in the middle of the night will make you blame the puddle in the tent from the leak on the other side of the tent. Ha.

Latest posts

Top Bottom