I’m gonna sound like the village idiot here, but…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No such thing as a black panther, mountain lion or whatever people want to call them. Biological impossibility.
There are actually lots of black coyotes and even a few black bobcats. Mountain lions…..nope.
Yea you guys run into one out in the woods at night and see what you say then. Seriously we do have big cats in Oklahoma and some can tend to run dark, look black at night. Get them under a bright light and that may change but in the dark?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, a few weeks ago, Outdoor Oklahoma ran a segment about identifying mountain lions in Oklahoma. They even took a photo of a supposed mountain lion and put up life-sized silhouettes of a mountain lion, a bobcat, and a housecat and looked at them from the place the photo was taken to show how it wasn't a mountain lion. I don't recall which episode it was, and the descriptions they have on the videos on their YouTube channel didn't help...

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea you guys run into one out in the woods at night and see what you say then. Seriously we do have big cats in Oklahoma and some can tend to run dark, look black at night. Get them under a bright light and that may change but in the dark?
We may have a few mountain lions around(very few) but there are no black ones. FWIW I’ve spent plenty of nights over the last 40 years calling coyotes.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We may have a few mountain lions around(very few) but there are no black ones. FWIW I’ve spent plenty of nights over the last 40 years calling coyotes.
I agree there are very few lions left but I hear they are making a comeback. As far as black ones, they can appear black in the dark.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There has historically never been one single verified report, trail cam pic or anything of a black panther in the US. None have been trapped, shot or found dead on the road. They don't exist. Millions of trail cams out there searching the night and day for anything that moves with zero results.
What exists is melanistic coyotes, or as I've pointed out many times when traveling down a road to my wife when a coyote runs across the road with the sun low on the horizon, there is where the black panther reports come from. They look totally black with a long bushy tail.
Hope I'm proven wrong but betting I won't.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with @okhunter . The only "black" panther in this hemisphere is a jaguar in black phase and they primarily show up in AZ and NM...doubt any make it this way. Maybe SW TX still?
The last known female jaguar was shot and killed by a hunter in Arizona in 1963, while the last legally hunted male jaguar was killed in 1965 in the Patagonia Mountains of Arizona. With the outlawing of most hunting in 1969, the jaguar made the Endangered Species Act by 1972. From 1970-1995 only two jaguars were documented in the U.S, with spottings in 2001 and another in 2009. It was not until 2016 that a jaguar was consistently documented and photographed in Arizona.
https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/jaguar-and-ocelot-spotted-in-southern-arizona#gs.nmkivp

Latest posts

Top Bottom