I’m gonna sound like the village idiot here, but…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the video from one of my trailcams. Its only on screen the first couple of seconds of the video under the low hanging branch. Moving right to left. It's hard to see ( better on full screen) and you can distinguish it by it's size and long tail that ends in a dark patch of fur. It stands about 3' tall at the back based on the tree limb it is walking under. My property has a large creek going thru it that ends up in Deep Fork River about 2 miles north of me. I get lots of coyotes and bobcats on camera. It is not either of those for sure.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't doubt that mountain lion exists in Oklahoma. Mountian lions are not black panthers just like Glocks, Springfield, Sig, Hi Point and Taurus doesn't interchange when describing a particular handgun.

edit to clarify: I believe that we have mountain lions in Oklahoma.

Last edited:

radiorob

Marksman
Reaction score
A long time ago my friend thought she saw a black mountain lion eat her Chihuahua. That surley was a bobcat. I did some research at that time because they were insistent. In the history of hunting and fur traping in The United States there has never been a black cougar pelt recorded anywhere. If it was a black cat the size of a cougar it was an escaped Leapord, Panther or Jaguar.

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen one run across the highway in Jefferson County about 15 years ago. My wife actually saw it first. Its tail was almost as long as its body. It was really dark (almost black). My son saw a large cat in Grady county while deer hunting a few years back on my grandparents farm and said the same thing, dark colored with a long tail. They are here. One was hit by a car by the braums farm a few years ago and the oklahoma fish and game finally admitted we do have a population of them here now.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That one on the mountain I mentioned earlier in the thread. We were running dogs for the guy that lives across the mountain from us, for hogs. Dogs hit and after a short pursuit we found no pig, just a big, unimpressed cat with its ears pinned back. It wasn't black, just kinda tan/brownish looking. We managed to retrieve our dogs with no flair. This was about 10 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom