I'm disappointed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are not at all rare. One of the smaller birds of prey. Very protective of their nests. If you get too close, they will dive bomb you. I have had them scrape the top of my ball cap. Anyway, the little critter is doing alright. Made it through the night just fine. It has obviously injured at least one leg or foot, because it cannot stand. I got a call this morning from one of the local rehabilitators, and I will be taking the bird to her later today. I guess there is a clinic (I think she said on S.E. 29th in OKC) that will take them, and then get them to a rehab place in Noble (wildcareoklahoma.org). So, if all goes well, 'it' will be on its way to rehab later today. They really are beautiful birds, adults and juveniles. This is the first time I've been around a young one, and I can't believe how big 'it' is!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are not at all rare. One of the smaller birds of prey. Very protective of their nests. If you get too close, they will dive bomb you. I have had them scrape the top of my ball cap. Anyway, the little critter is doing alright. Made it through the night just fine. It has obviously injured at least one leg or foot, because it cannot stand. I got a call this morning from one of the local rehabilitators, and I will be taking the bird to her later today. I guess there is a clinic (I think she said on S.E. 29th in OKC) that will take them, and then get them to a rehab place in Noble (wildcareoklahoma.org). So, if all goes well, 'it' will be on its way to rehab later today. They really are beautiful birds, adults and juveniles. This is the first time I've been around a young one, and I can't believe how big 'it' is!

You are denying true joy to a roaming feline.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call me insensitive, I guess. Bunnies or birds or squirrels... they're all expendable, I don't attribute any particular value to them. I don't go around swerving to hit them in the car, don't get me wrong, but I don't worry too much about 'em.
My daughter swerved to miss a roadrunner and rolled her Nissan 300ZX. Daughter was scraped up a bit, totaled her car, got a ticket from a trooper and broke her new glasses. She is still mad at little creatures on the road.

I feel for them but yeah, they are nature and nature does what nature does.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next Chapter: We have a full-length glass storm door, and can see the bird from a love seat in our living room when we have the inner door open (and it usually is). As I was walking by the front door late this morning, I looked out, and one of the adults was beside the 'chick.' I stopped, it saw me, and it flew off. Then, this afternoon, we watched as one of the adults came back and fed the chick (or fledgling, or whatever the proper term would be). This kinda changes things. So, I talked with the rehabilitator again, and she recommended just leaving it alone. If Mom and Dad are gonna' come back and take care of it, the situation may just work itself out. We don't have many cats and/or dogs that roam the neighborhood freely (very rarely see one), although I expressed that concern. She said, even if a cat or dog shows up, 'my money is on Mom and Dad.' So, we agreed to just leave things alone for now and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came across an owl last spring in the middle of Shawnee on a pretty busy street. It was about 6:30 in the morning and I was driving my work truck and saw it sitting in the middle of the road just inside the turn lane. I turned my strobe lights on and put some cones out so people wouldn’t hit it. I didn’t know what was wrong with it. I walked up to it and I was able to get within arms length of it and it would turn it’s head and look at me. I would get up and move around and it would follow me with it’s head. I absolutely love owls. I was able to touch it and it wouldn’t even move. It just looked at me. I couldn’t believe it. I took some pictures and videos of it. I called the local game warden and left a message. He called me back and said he was on vacation and to call another one. I did and the warden basically told me he couldn’t do anything. I got off the phone pretty disappointed and went back over to the owl. I touched him again and this time he flew off! I don’t know what the deal was but I was glad it was able to fly off.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obvious deduction the owl might have been hit and was just stunned. I had an owl hit my truck windshield at 70 MPH on I-40. It flew across the road in front of me and whack, I had an owl print on my windshield. I stopped safely and backed up and saw the bird struggling to stand up. I let it rest a few minutes and it flew away. Tough old bird it was.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did it get knocked out of the tree or injured by the recent storms?

Sorry. Didn't mean to ignore you. I think it was probably trying to fly and just fell out of the nest. We haven't had any storms around here in a while. The morning it showed up on the ground, we had almost no wind. That nest is way up high in the tree, probably thirty feet or so. It is fully feathered, so I believe it is at the stage where it should have been trying its wings.

The little critter is moving around more all the time. We have seen it stand for several seconds at a time, but it is still very wobbly. Wings do not seem to be injured. I've seen it stretch its wings several times, and that appears normal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom