Insurance....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stay confused most of the time on insurance, I have Farmers and am actually pretty happy with them. During the big Ice storm 3 years ago a big limb fell on my wifes car in the driveway and totaled it, Farmers said tough, it wasn't covered by my homeowners and since I only had liability I didn't get anything. I checked my policy and it said that even if the car had been in the garage and the limb had come thru the roof it would not have been covered. Cost me 14,000+ to learn that lesson.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe me, you can get different results from different agents representing the same company. That's why it's good to have a relationship with your agent.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but, generally speaking, your Homeowners policy covers your home and your Auto policy covers your auto.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, I learned this lesson the hard way right at a year ago when my polebarn shop which was a seperate structure on the same property as my house burnt down, full of my toys. (Before anyone asks, not an electrical fire, grass had grown under the wall of the polebarn and into the old fridge that kept pop, water and gatorade. The fridge apparently leaked out the coolant causing the motor to overheat, which ignited the grass, then the vinyl backed insulation)
I had Farmers insurance at the time and had paid them for over 15 years with only one previous claim. While still arguing the amounts of this claim, they cancelled me cold. They claim it was not due to the pending claim but we all know better. They offered me a different/better policy that would cover me better, then sent out an inspector who ripped apart my 12 year old house and deemed it uninsurable??? They stated my roof was beyond repair,even though I had 2 different roofing comapnies look at it and they both said it was fine with no damage. They cited abnormal clutter on the property, duhhh, I just had a fire and was waiting on them to settle with me so I could clean it up. And on and on.
They did cover stuff like a couple of 4 wheelers, a sandrail, and all loose car parts and tools at a highly depreciated rate, but not without making me jump thru hoops for about 6 months.
Worst part was that it was nearly impossible to find new insurance while having this claim open.
I can honestly say that I thought I was prepared for anything, but after this one event I lost over $40k in non-covered and underinsured items.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My actual agent is out of the office this week, so I wont hear back from him until next monday. It looks like there's some conflicting things going on. Like some guys with State Farm getting what I want, and some with Farmers not being able to get it. I may contact another State Farm agent tomorrow just to see what they say, probably call another Farmers agent also...

Can the agent usually write a policy however they please? It seems dumb that I can add $100,000 in contents, but that cant cover guns or 4 wheelers.

I definitely understand about a new guy trying to tell me anything to get me sold on switching. I'll definitely be reading over anything very well now. I wonder if its possible for my current agent to write me an entire new policy...

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but, generally speaking, your Homeowners policy covers your home and your Auto policy covers your auto.

So dont you think it should cover things in my house?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, of course, as long as these things are not excluded in your policy. BTW, I apologize for suggesting you read your policy. Once you do, you'll hate me. lol It will be like reading Obama's health care bill. But, that's where all the coverage is. You will find exclusions for things which are normally covered under other types of policies.

You really need to sit down with a good insurance agent who can answer your questions. It's not always easy to find one of those, but that's your best bet. In my experience, an independent agent (one who is not paid by the company) is your best bet.

If you really feel they're shafting you, you have at least 2 recourses. One would be to file a complaint with the Insurance Dept. It will require a lot of documentation. The other is to hire an independent adjuster. That will cost you, probably based on what they recover for you, plus maybe a fee.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might get away with 1 ATV covered on your homeowners policy because it can be used to service the residential premises (just like a lawn mower). However, in my opinion it is best to list the ATVs, side by side, Jet Skis, ect on a separate recreational vehicle policy. The main reason being liability but you also know they are cover no matter what happens to them. If you take the jet skis to the lake and you hit a $100K boat or cause injury to someone you need the liability (which you currently don't have). The RV policies are cheap and assure you have the coverage you need. If you have any questions feel free to call me or send a PM. Sorry for the short response as it's hard to type on my phone.

The reason they require you to scheldule certain expensive items (jewelry, guns, artwork, ect) is to prevent false claims. If it was not like this people would claim that they had a $75K diamond ring or a $100K painting that was stolen. I wish everyone was honest in this world and we could just go off trust but unforutnely that is not the case.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, we sat down with our agent here in BA and made sure that those specific items were covered and were written into the current policy we have. Also covered for damages due to quakes and floods & flooding, as well as the whole tornado/weather/fire thing.

I called another State Farm Agent today, and they told me the same as I had already been told. I'd really like to know the specifics of your situation. I'd rather stay with State Farm than go through the hassle of switching, but if they cant help me, they cant help me.

I mentioned your situation to this other agent today, and they said that State Farm doesn't do it that way...????

You might get away with 1 ATV covered on your homeowners policy because it can be used to service the residential premises (just like a lawn mower). However, in my opinion it is best to list the ATVs, side by side, Jet Skis, ect on a separate recreational vehicle policy. The main reason being liability but you also know they are cover no matter what happens to them. If you take the jet skis to the lake and you hit a $100K boat or cause injury to someone you need the liability (which you currently don't have). The RV policies are cheap and assure you have the coverage you need. If you have any questions feel free to call me or send a PM. Sorry for the short response as it's hard to type on my phone.

The reason they require you to scheldule certain expensive items (jewelry, guns, artwork, ect) is to prevent false claims. If it was not like this people would claim that they had a $75K diamond ring or a $100K painting that was stolen. I wish everyone was honest in this world and we could just go off trust but unfortunately that is not the case.

I can understand why I need certain things covered like that, but if my house would've burned up, I'd have metal frames sitting here of whats left as proof, same with the guns.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can vouch as well for SF, we have them and they only cover $5000 on the basic homeowners policy. We carry a floater policy for things that are not covered and actually this thread made me think about some things so we will be sitting down with our agent on Friday to talk about some things.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can the agent usually write a policy however they please? It seems dumb that I can add $100,000 in contents, but that cant cover guns or 4 wheelers.

I definitely understand about a new guy trying to tell me anything to get me sold on switching. I'll definitely be reading over anything very well now. I wonder if its possible for my current agent to write me an entire new policy...

So dont you think it should cover things in my house?

In most cases they can write it however you please, as long as the company is willing to take on the risk. I have never seen a gun endorsement not allowed, you just have to pay some extra premium.

I promise you the big boys (state farm, farmers, allstate, etc) all offer the same exact things, you just need to price shop to see who will get you the best deal at this time. It all depends on what policies underwriting is wanting to take on at this time, as to what the prices will be, and all that can change at your next renewal!

Latest posts

Top Bottom