Insuring 16yr old driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone got the idea I put silver spoons in my kids mouths!
I'm a frickin' truck driver, not a doctor or lawyer. My wife is a stay at home mom because we made a decision when our kids were born we wanted them to have
a parent raising them instead of a daycare. Not that I'm judging people who chose that. This is just the choice we made. Right, wrong or indifferent.
One of the jobs my son does is haul hay for one of our friend that is a farmer, so yeah he knows what work is!

I asked you guys advice about insuring a 16yr old kid, not how I should be raising him! Thanks everyone who replied with pertinent info about insurance!
The rest of you can start your own thread about how children should be raised!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone got the idea I put silver spoons in my kids mouths!
I'm a frickin' truck driver, not a doctor or lawyer. My wife is a stay at home mom because we made a decision when our kids were born we wanted them to have
a parent raising them instead of a daycare. Not that I'm judging people who chose that. This is just the choice we made. Right, wrong or indifferent.
One of the jobs my son does is haul hay for one of our friend that is a farmer, so yeah he knows what work is!

I asked you guys advice about insuring a 16yr old kid, not how I should be raising him! Thanks everyone who replied with pertinent info about insurance!
The rest of you can start your own thread about how children should be raised!
I don't think this is anything about you, this thread took a left turn a long time ago lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never understood why kids couldn't study AND work, rather why it's one or the other for parents. I did both.... I had to. Life is going to be rough if you think that just getting good grades will get you things. Just sayin.

Thats exactly my point but no one gets it lol (but you)

That's what I had to do as well, and that's what my kids did. One son rode a bicycle across town to school for a few months because he didn't want to get another job after his previous one went away.
If I had to "supplement" their payments or chip in some gas occasionally, it was ok as long as they were working.
They raised some of their gas money by giving rides to other students, to and from school. Buck a day each for 4 riders. Gas was under a dollar in those days.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My basic understanding is there are two elements. Liability, which is on the driver and collision/comprehensive which covers the car.

If you don't put your kid on a policy, he has no liability coverage and is an uninsured motorist. If you put him on the policy he has to be listed as a driver of one of the vehicles...

But I'm no agent so...lol

No agent here either but is it different for family I wonder? Can't we give someone not on my policy and who is a licensed driver permission to drive my vehicle and still be covered. That scenario happens a lot.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what AAA says. All driving members of a household must be listed on policy, if they aren't then they are uninsured. So I was wrong about the liability following the driver.

"Oklahoma insurance law requires that all vehicles with current tags be insured with at least the state minimum liability insurance. In Oklahoma, car insurance follows the car not the person. Insurance must be in the name of the titled owner of the vehicle to be valid. Each person 16 years of age or older that has a driver's license in a household must be listed on the auto policy or be excluded. Excluded drivers have no coverage if they cause an accident."

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From reading the replies on here the days of teaching your kids to work hard is over. I wanted my kids to have it just as hard as I did. I darn sure didn't want them to get used to the taste of the silver spoon in their mouths.

So, every kid must be taught to work hard? There is no such thing as kids being born with a good work ethic? You guys been passing around the pipe?

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are with State Farm and it wasn't too bad when we added our daughter. She went to Browns driving school and she got a discount for that, she gets a discount for good student grades, and we also get the multi car discount. It is much cheaper to insure a car with liability only as opposed to full coverage. You can't have a lien on the car and get liability only though so we paid cash(split 50/50) with her and got a beater for her to start out on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom