Insuring 16yr old driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, we just added our 16 year old and it only went up about $60 a month with State Farm. Our agent researched which of the 3 cars we have would produce the lowest rate and put him against that vehicle.

I bought my own car/insurance when I was a kid but we're paying for the car and insurance for him.

He's buying his gas. He's a 4.0 student, active in school extra curricular activities, has a job and has taken over a lot of the taxi service for his brother and sister that we used to do. Paying for the car is well worth it in our eyes, just for that alone.

No more sitting in the school parking lot at 2am waiting for the busses to get back from an away game or competition.
I'm with you on this one. My daughter is 15. We already bought her a car so she can drive it now with her permit. It's a 4 cylinder and we are with SF so hopefully they don't kill us. We drop off and pick up our three kids at school. Her driving will be a huge help with that.

I started working and paying for everything I got when I was 14. I put myself through college, etc. etc. My wife never had a job until she graduated from college (paid for by her parents) and she is one of the hardest working people I know. I'm not opposed to my kids getting a job (provided I approve of the employer) but I hardly think that is the only way for them to develop a strong work ethic.

I hope I've worked hard enough that my kids will not have to work as hard as I did (do). A good work ethic is definitely important but working hard at sports, music or some other passion can be as valuable as a job IMHO. I won't allow them to sit on their ass watching TV or playing video games though. They will be working at something but it may or may not be a job. YMMV.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter worked through Jr. high, high school and college. Then she graduated and went right to work. My wife and I had expectations. She fulfilled her part far and above. We got her a nice small new truck when she turned 16 and she was expected to pay a portion of her insurance and maintenance. We agreed (yes we...her/me/mom) how much she contributed. She was always tight as a drum so savings were a no brainer. She budged her money great.
When she was getting ready to graduate College, we gave her a new car. Her and I did all the research and found the car she wanted and a fair price. I had her go with me on car deals and she really picked it up.
Had her do all the negotiations and honestly I think they were willing to give it to her at the end.
I was lucky or this was just how kids learn to be adults.
I was so proud of her.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone probably knows more about this that me. So, what if you didn't list your kid on a car? Are there legalities to be dealt with?
I know it's an open ended question but I always wondered.

Then they would be an uninsured motorist...why would you willingly/knowingly do that?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Makes you wonder how kids overseas with a decidedly harder curriculum go to school and work eh?
They don't! They get their rich (ha-ha) Aunt & Uncle in America to pay for it! Got 1 nephew (pharmacist), 3 nieces (nurses), 1 nephew working towards CPA, and 3 nephews - welders. The welders we didn't have to pay for. Hanjin trained them.
The 5 college grads cost $2k each for 4 years college. They are now expected to help pay for the younger kids schooling.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Then they would be an uninsured motorist...why would you willingly/knowingly do that?
What I mean is, what if the car is insured but you don't list your kid as principal driver. I understand that liability goes up with a younger driver but the car itself is insured.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I mean is, what if the car is insured but you don't list your kid as principal driver. I understand that liability goes up with a younger driver but the car itself is insured.

My basic understanding is there are two elements. Liability, which is on the driver and collision/comprehensive which covers the car.

If you don't put your kid on a policy, he has no liability coverage and is an uninsured motorist. If you put him on the policy he has to be listed as a driver of one of the vehicles...

But I'm no agent so...lol

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it's probably best in this generation to not ask a kids to work too hard.
Im sure those days are over.

From reading the replies on here the days of teaching your kids to work hard is over. I wanted my kids to have it just as hard as I did. I darn sure didn't want them to get used to the taste of the silver spoon in their mouths.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From reading the replies on here the days of teaching your kids to work hard is over. I wanted my kids to have it just as hard as I did. I darn sure didn't want them to get used to the taste of the silver spoon in their mouths.
Yes sir, but that's ideology is dead I'm afraid and I'm not even that old, just an old soul.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son was in the marching band with all the extra time that took. Every football game, traveling or at home. Practicing his trumpet every day. Honor band competition, marching competition, all the extras that come with success.
Did his home studies as soon as he got home from school then did chores for 2 hours cleaning my shop and feeding the cows or mopping floors for his mom. worked at Braums calf barns on weekends caring for over 1000 head of new born, and mowed a few yards. Graduated with a 4.0 and owned a truck he worked hard for. Went on to OSU with a full ride band scholarship this year.
No, he didn't earn any of it through hard work lol
It's impossible to work a kid too hard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom