Is it odd to buy large amounts of ammo....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
... at 4:30 in the morning at Wal-Mart?

I dunno... I didn't expect it happened a LOT, but with hunting and all... who knows? So I just picked up like 500 rounds of 9mm, .40, and .45. But you'd think I was some Taliban-stereotype trying to order magnesium anti-tank rounds or something.

Not really, just took 'em like 15 minutes to locate whomever had the keys to the ammunition case that early. I wondered for a while if it was even going to be possible to complete my purchase. Guy was very nice and all, and made chit-chat while waiting, thought I was a S.W.A.T. guy or something (semi-tactical dress, I suppose), and complained about someone spraying doe urine on the sporting-goods desk phone.

All-in-all, not too bad, kinda funny.

And for those who wonder why - I just couldn't sleep. The wife says my sins keep me awake. ;)

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, we all know that WalMart is an odd place much of the time. There are good employees and strange ones. You never know which kind you'll encounter.

The idea of someone buying a large amount of ammo strikes fear into many non-shooters. "I don't like guns but I suppose it is ok for some people to go shooting and need a box or two of ammo. But what's with this guy buying an enormous amount???"

Back when Academy had cheap 9mm blazer I used to buy a case from time to time. Once at the checkout the clerk looked at by case of ammo and then at me and said in a sarcastic voice, "Think you got enough?"

I guess the best reaction is just be friendly and talkative so they calm down and get over their fear of you being an unbalanced psychopath about to wreak havoc. "Yes ma'am/sir, we have a bunch of people going shooting this weekend and my brother in-law needs some too."

Come to think of it, The UPS guy looks at me funny too.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just send my wife in, she is all of 5' and less than 100 lbs. She has been known to buy 600 rounds of .45 and 1000 rounds of .22 at one time. When Walmart was having problems keeping ammo in stock, she would go over there in the morning and buy a lot when they had it. Speaking of ammo, I do need some more .45's.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just send my wife in, she is all of 5' and less than 100 lbs. She has been known to buy 600 rounds of .45 and 1000 rounds of .22 at one time. When Walmart was having problems keeping ammo in stock, she would go over there in the morning and buy a lot when they had it. Speaking of ammo, I do need some more .45's.

Mustang Walmart had a bunch of WWB .45 the other day when I was in there and picked up 100 rounds.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mustang Walmart had a bunch of WWB .45 the other day when I was in there and picked up 100 rounds.

100 rounds! Did they have store security come over and ask you where you were going with such a massive purchase of ammo? :wink2:

Last time I asked about ammo in the BA Walmart, the fellow behind the counter said they were out of the 420-round ammo cans of XM855. He didn't seem to think that quantity of ammo in one package was anything unusual.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does anyone buy ammo at physical locations?

I can always get it cheaper delivered to my house from multiple online stores.

I dunno, 'cause the price is decent and I can buy it at 4:30 in the morning and walk out the door? Spur of the moment purchase...

The one time I tried to buy ammo online, I was adding it to an order for some other parts and such, but then they said they wanted me to fax them a copy of my driver's license. Ehhhhh... no thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom