jerky, anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always try to keep the marinade simple, like soy sauce, teriyaki, or other simple meat marinades. If you want specific flavoring like cayenne ,black pepper, jalapeno flavor etc then I add those after I set the pieces on the dehydrator. I found that you will use less spices if you add that stuff after the base marinade, and you can also split the same batch up with different flavors and heat ranges.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use deer mostly but when I use beef I find the leanest cheapest looking cut. Semi freeze n slice 1/4 inch ish. I soak mine in liquid smoke, red pepper and course black pepper over night....then in dehydrator.

My jerky has never spoiled but that cause iy never has a chance.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lots of good recipes here. Heres our favorite recipe. It can be used for both wild and domestic red meat. For beef, we use shoulder's as they have almost zero fat. Removing all the fat is very important. Fat is usually what will spoil jerky, so trip the everything off!!

This is a sweet and spicy recipe. Mild enough that the kids can enjoy it, but enough fire to make a mild, sweet and savory treat.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp liquid smoke
1tsp paprika
1/2 Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce

for 1-2lb of meat

cut meat 1/4 inch or thinner strips (doesn't have to be perfect, I like mine thicker) marinate over night, lay out in trays, keep pieces from touch for easy removal

Run at 160 degrees for 5-6 hours or longer of you like super chewy jerky. Typically this kind of jerky is good for a month or so if not kept cool. Jerky that lasts forever has had ALL of the liquid dehydrated out of it. This recipe won't work for long-term jerky due to the sugars in it.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made about 25 lbs (pre dehydrate) of deer jerky last week. I usually grind most of my deer (except for the backstraps and tenderloins) and use a jerky cannon to make round sticks of jerky similar to slim jims. This works out pretty good as you don't have to worry about getting the thickness just right and it is always tender. I have used ground beef from the store before also.

For seasoning, I have been using the backwoods brand by LEM...available at academy and bass pro. It comes with seasoning and jerky cure and instructions to follow and works on sliced and ground meat. There are many different flavors.

Whatever you do, take notes each time you make a batch until you get the process down.

One word of warning...be careful on giving the stuff to friends....everyone keeps asking when I will be making them more jerky:)

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cowboy Jerky

• 1 1/2 pounds beef
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
•1/4 cups lime juice
•2 tablespoons Worcestershire
•1 teaspoon red pepper – crushed
•1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
•cooking spray

Directions:
1. Cut your meat into 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick slices. (It may help to slightly freeze before hand)
2. Mix lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire, both types of pepper and liquid smoke.
3. Add meat and coat.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
5. Dry meat according to your dehydrator.

Lasts for a few months, if you don't eat it up or give away.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I save out a couple of rump roasts when we process our deer
With it half frozen, slice into fairly thin slices.
Cut with the grain for chewy jerky,
across the grain for less chewy.

We use Worcestershire sauce, hickory smoked sea salt,
ground red pepper, jalapeno or other pepper juice to taste.
Let soak overnight.

If you want it to last longer with out refrigeration,
use more salt, marinate it longer, and make sure
it is all dry when you take it out of the dehydrator.

j0sh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here it is, for 2 pounds of sliced meat:

2/3 cup worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbls molasses
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls honey
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Mix all ingredients, and marinate the meat in it in a 1 gallon ziploc for 12 hours. Be sure to "massage" the bag every few hours to redistribute the marinade around the meat. If any of parts of your meat are still pink, the marinade didn't contact it, so "massage" the bag some more and check again in a few hours.

For 1/4" thick slices, expect to dehydrate about 6 hours at 160 degrees.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the traditionalists will poopoo this but I love jerky too but I'm a fan of the jerky gun. My mom bought me an electric meat grinder and a jerky gun for Christmas one year. I wasn't too keen on the jerky gun, but since it was from mom I had to at least try it. Once was all it took. Your jerky is uniform so you can dehydrate it much better (the whole batch is the same) and it doesn't rip your teeth out of your skull. Use whatever marinade you want, grind the meat, mix in the dry seasonings, squirt out strips, sticks, or both and dry it. If you can find it American Harvest (once sold at WalMart) is really good. I think Academy has it now.

Edit: You can also add Morton Tender Quick in your marinade to make it last for a really long time.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the traditionalists will poopoo this but I love jerky too but I'm a fan of the jerky gun. My mom bought me an electric meat grinder and a jerky gun for Christmas one year. I wasn't too keen on the jerky gun, but since it was from mom I had to at least try it. Once was all it took. Your jerky is uniform so you can dehydrate it much better (the whole batch is the same) and it doesn't rip your teeth out of your skull. Use whatever marinade you want, grind the meat, mix in the dry seasonings, squirt out strips, sticks, or both and dry it. If you can find it American Harvest (once sold at WalMart) is really good. I think Academy has it now.

Edit: You can also add Morton Tender Quick in your marinade to make it last for a really long time.

Do you cook this before dehydrating?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you cook this before dehydrating?

Nope. Here are some tips:

Make sure that there is as little fat as possible in the meat and preferably none at all.
Marinade overnight in the fridge with Tender Quick.
If you buy a commercial spice mix with a cure in it (that is sometimes a separate packet) either don't use it OR don't use the Tender Quick and follow the directions on the mix you bought.
Dehydrate at a minimum of 145 degrees and a maximum of less than 200.
Dehydrate for long enough that the meat is actually dried inside. If you leave moisture it's gonna spoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom