List of things needed for deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really care if Daniel Boone and Grizzly Adams used leaves, tree bark, scooted across the ground afterwards like a hound with worms or if they wiped their asses on live porcupines......trust me, when going hunting always carry some Toilet Paper !!

Last edited:

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really care if Daniel Boone and Grizzly Adams used leaves, tree bark, scooted across the ground afterwards like a hound with worms or if they wiped their asses on live porcupines......trust me, when going hunting always carry some Toilet Paper !!
One of the most important items...of course. Used every 2 out of 3 trips!

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
get boots that you only wear hunting. Put them on in the field, not at home. You do not want to a deer to smell where you have walked.
Get a treestand and ladder of some type, or a climber if you can use one where you hunt. I mostly use a summit viper climbing stand. How ever I have several ladder stands in different locations. I buy ladder stands at the end of season when store have them marked down.
Get off the ground as high as you can get, you will se 10 times as many deer.
Get some decent camo clothing. A quality jacket that has some sort of wind sheer in it is important.
Some of safety harness, you do not want to fall out of a tree. if you use a hang on stand, hook up the harness before you step off the ladder. a hang on stand will flip if you step on it incorrectly.
a rifle, knife, TP in a ziplok bag is most important.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wanting to learn to take a deer. The adult hunting guidance I had as a kid was all quail hunting so that's what I did. Now, as I'm in mid-life, I have a primal desire to take a deer. I have some loose "connections" that I think/hope I will be able to find a place to hunt. However, I want to know a basic list of things I need so I can buy them if I do not already own them. Below are some things I can think of or have. I am not going to get into camping supplies and 4wd and such as that would make the list too long...I have that stuff already. I want the specific things a person would need for gun deer hunting. Please comment on any items already listed, as well as any missing items:

- 308 rifle/scope & proper cartridges (sighted in @ 100yrds or what?)
If it's a legal rifle, put the bullet in the vitals and it will take care of itself.
- sidearm? (in case need to put injured deer down. If so, is .22 legal JUST for putting down?)
Don't need a sidearm, that's why you make a good shot with the rifle.
- license & proper tag(s)
Yes
- coveralls, gloves, etc.
Rubber gloves for gutting, if you wish.
- hunting boots
Wear appropriate footwear. If it's 90 degrees out, boots will be warm, etc...
- bright orange vest/hat
Yes
- sharp knife
Yes
- gut hook knife?
Not necessary, but can speed things up, don't puncture the stomach.
- flashlight
A small one in case you drop something in the morning or are out late.
- binoculars?
Never needed them where I hunt and extra weight.
- scent eliminator? (is this a must?)
No, hunt with the wind like your Grandfather did.
- deer stand?
Not necessary, deer were killed from the ground before everyone started getting in trees.
- tarp? (to haul kill in back of SUV)
Yes, keeps the blood out of the carpet.
- a place to take the deer for processing?
Yes, but you never know what you're going to get back from the processor. I'm not working that hard to turn over my deer to Joe Blow. I do it myself.
- something to hang the deer with? (is this required for cleaning)
Not for cleaning, but for cooling. Get the hide off the deer asap, get it hung up to cool and to drain.

Also, if I have limited access to the land, do I need to put out feed and if so, when/how often? If I feed do I need a feeder or can I just dump it? Can I hunt without feed if I only get access to the land during hunting season?

No, feeders get deer conditioned to visit late at night. You don't need a feeder if you're in the right spot.

If you want to learn like the rest of us did, grab a rifle, a knife, some shells and go kill something. Ad Lib the rest, it's a learning process. The important part is having deer in front of you and killing something. Don't over think it.

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wanting to learn to take a deer. The adult hunting guidance I had as a kid was all quail hunting so that's what I did. Now, as I'm in mid-life, I have a primal desire to take a deer. I have some loose "connections" that I think/hope I will be able to find a place to hunt. However, I want to know a basic list of things I need so I can buy them if I do not already own them. Below are some things I can think of or have. I am not going to get into camping supplies and 4wd and such as that would make the list too long...I have that stuff already. I want the specific things a person would need for gun deer hunting. Please comment on any items already listed, as well as any missing items:

- 308 rifle/scope & proper cartridges (sighted in @ 100yrds or what?)
- sidearm? (in case need to put injured deer down. If so, is .22 legal JUST for putting down?)
- license & proper tag(s)
- coveralls, gloves, etc.
- hunting boots
- bright orange vest/hat
- sharp knife
- gut hook knife?
- flashlight
- binoculars?
- scent eliminator? (is this a must?)
- deer stand?
- tarp? (to haul kill in back of SUV)
- a place to take the deer for processing?
- something to hang the deer with? (is this required for cleaning)

Also, if I have limited access to the land, do I need to put out feed and if so, when/how often? If I feed do I need a feeder or can I just dump it? Can I hunt without feed if I only get access to the land during hunting season?

I had wanted to do this this year for the first time (been wanting to for 5yrs) but life is so busy another year has come & gone so I am going to start preparing NOW for next season. Unless someone tells me when rifle season is and how "easy" it would be for me to go this year LOL.

Thanks in advance men
Ill add some comments to your list.
Tags. A way to keep attached to carcass
Clothing. Try to dedicate hunting clothes to be washed in non-scented Woolite. Layers for cold a must. Remove some before moderate to extreme walking.
Boots. Comfortable, waterproof and tested out before hunting season. Dedicated rubber boots help with scent control. Tight boots in very cold conditions Not Good. While hunting is not the time to test boots and socks.
Bright orange vest/hat. Make sure legal color and sq. in. for area.
Sharp knife. 2 if possible and not too big.
Gut hook. Most people that gut their first deer or two could have benefited with using a gut hook.
Flashlight. Always. And with good batteries. They are very small and powerful these days. Extra batteries on evening hunts if you can.
BINOCULARS. Yes You will eventually see other hunters. Don't be the guy that looks through his loaded scoped rifle at other people. Binocs are small and powerful these days. They make looking at other things while hunting much more enjoyable.
Scent eliminator. Some people swear by it. Some don't. If you do pee on the deer trail your hunting make sure you eat ground acorns first to draw them in. LMAO just kidding
Deer Stand. Not a must but usually helps with scent and movement. Can be a safety hazard using.
Tarp. Definitely in an SUV
After the kill. Gut immediately. Keep dirt/flies away. Cool as soon as possible. Remove hide as soon as possible. Process yourself or take to a processor. Some processors are better than others. Most hunters have did both.

Good luck hunting

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't see string/rope on your list. Take some small diameter rope or paracord with you. You will always need it for something or other, trust me.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An old buddy has confirmed he'll take me to his father-in-law's farm. He processes them himself and feeds and stuff to make sure deer in the area for hunting season. We'll see how it goes me being ready so close to gun season. What tags should I get? Can I get them at wal-mart?

Latest posts

Top Bottom