Manufactured/Modular home questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are looking into manufactured homes i suggest looking at the used ones that have already lost their value. a two year old one sells for about half of a new one.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you are looking into manufactured homes i suggest looking at the used ones that have already lost their value. a two year old one sells for about half of a new one.

...But I would be cautious about buying too old. In my experience they're built at the absolute minimum allowed build limits. So, when stuff starts falling apart ...watch out.
Buying a manufactured home is very much like buying a used car. (in terms of investment and maintenance)

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some details on true modular homes, built with steel skeletons and/or skins their are several manufacturers of them, I myself am building my personal home which is truly modular and expandable from 40' cargo shipping containers.

The 8747 House

inFINISKI

Have others just have to find them.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These homes will not DECREASE in value, this is a relative perception, you can build these YOURSELF for under $30 a sq. ft. not including your appliance choices, if you source the materials right. They are fully mobile, interlocking units, that can be stacked 9 high, and bolted together, once set on concrete and rebar pier footings with ISBU interlocks set in on top, they are as strong as any skyscraper.

If you build one and the neighborhoods home values decrease, because they are not as upgradeable as your home is, and is unkempt, you can simply unbolt the units, release the footing locks, and move it by railroad to another state for pennies on the sq. ft. and remodel in a better neighborhood. This is simply not possible with conventional stick frame construction, as it will incur heavy structural damage as part of the transport process.

Dexcheque

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some details on true modular homes, built with steel skeletons and/or skins their are several manufacturers of them, I myself am building my personal home which is truly modular and expandable from 40' cargo shipping containers.
Iwould be interested in hearing about your adventure with the containers. I have been debating building a home out of those or just building one from a metal building. From what I can see they are about the same cost to build so i dunno...

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt say never. I mean, if you are buying a lake lot or other acreage, and the mobile is basically thrown in free, it's a nice bonus to have before/if you build. But as mentioned don't count on any appreciation, aside from any inflationary increases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom