Masks On Masks Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Arkansas over the weekend. A few places said "masks mandatory" but most just ignored them. Back in Sapulpa went to get BBQ and no one - not the cooks, not the servers, not the cashiers, not the customers in the best place in town were wearing masks.

We're all likely to get infected and die soon.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s such a insignificant effort. I just wear the damn thing.

One positive of wearing one. It makes it hard for people to recognize me. Which means I don’t have to stop and talk.

And they can't see the faces I make at them for their stupidity in the grocery store . . . .

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also saw the OU Pride practicing with masks that had holes in them for their instruments. Frikkin stupid!

View attachment 176228

My son's college band does the same thing except they also have screens over the bells of their instruments, which is not shown in that photo.

It appears stupid at first, but when you realize the intent is to prevent the spread of exhaled/projected droplets, it makes complete sense. Band members replace the slotted mask with a full mask when they are not playing.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went into Popeyes the other day and the place was plastered with mask signs. Guess who was the only person wearing a mask properly?...…….……….Me

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son's college band does the same thing except they also have screens over the bells of their instruments, which is not shown in that photo.

It appears stupid at first, but when you realize the intent is to prevent the spread of exhaled/projected droplets, it makes complete sense. Band members replace the slotted mask with a full mask when they are not playing.

Brass instruments, especially the sousaphone have had mesh coverings over the bells for years with the school logo or what not on them. The odds of any droplets actually getting expelled from a brass or even woodwind instrument are super duper slim. There's a reason most brass instruments have a spit valve. Sound may travel but water droplets won't travel through 9' - 18' of twisting brass tubing.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went into Popeyes the other day and the place was plastered with mask signs. Guess who was the only person wearing a mask properly?...…….……….Me
That's funny! I don't even have a mask in my car. I refuse to wear one anywhere in public. I keep one in my body armor for work just so I can keep my job. As soon as step out of my building the mask comes off.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brass instruments, especially the sousaphone have had mesh coverings over the bells for years with the school logo or what not on them. The odds of any droplets actually getting expelled from a brass or even woodwind instrument are super duper slim. There's a reason most brass instruments have a spit valve. Sound may travel but water droplets won't travel through 9' - 18' of twisting brass tubing.

My son has been playing Trombone in the band for the last 10 years and never had a mesh covering until this year.

There is little hard science on the dispersal of aerosols or droplets through wind instruments, but I'm fine with it as long is it allows them to get back on stage and play. He had his first jazz concert in almost 9 months a week or two ago...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom