Mauser 98k in .30 Gibbs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father has a .30 Gibbs he would like to sell and I'm not quite sure how to figure out what it is worth.

It's built on a walnut or other wood stock with a Mauser 98k action. It has a 24" barrel.

He stated that he thought it was worth like 10k, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the proper Mauser 98 for that to be the case. I think this Mauser 98k, is probably from germany and WWII. In fact his records show he obtained it from his Uncles Cousin (WWII) or something like that. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

It has been rechambered for the 30 Gibbs. He said he has the dies for loading that caliber too that go with the gun.

I'll get pics next time I'm around his gun safe. Oh, it has a scope on it, but I"m not sure what it is so, I guess it's best to leave that out of the equation for now.

So, what do you all think this gun is worth?

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since it's been sporterized, that kinda kills any "war relic" type value it may have had at one point. Good sporterized guns can sell for a decent price, though.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot us a pic, I can't see ANY rifle being worth 10k! Later,

Kirk

Look up Mauser 98 in the Blue book, the MSRP was over 12k, 100% is 10k something. ANyway, that is NOT this gun I'm affraid as that gun was not made in 30-06 which I believe was this guns original caliber before Gibbs got a hold of it.

I'll get a pic in the next few days.

Jev

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either way I would sure like to see this rifle! I love old Mauser rifles and have seen some excellent rifle build from the Mauser actions with some wood that cost as much as one of my rifles is worth! I'm not bashin' ya by any means really so don't get offended. I have seen some of the African rifles that will just knock your socks off they are so pretty and these guys take them hunting? anyway get us a picture like I said I love the Mauser rifles. Later,

Kirk

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the action commercial or military? Easy way to determine is, on the side of the action opposite the bolt, there is a thumb cut in the military action to allow you to push a stripper clip all the way down from the top. It's just a rounded cut-out in the left side of the receiver.

The commercial action does not have the thumb cut.

I am not qualified to apraise or assess this gun, but would like to see pictures. Sounds interesting, but any conversion/mod/"improvement" is likely to reduce collector interest/value. As a modern hunting round, I doubt many will be interested.

There are probably internet sources of info that will help you get a better handle on this. CB

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
K, my sister and I took some pics but her camera didn't do a good job of macro. So, I'll have to get back to it again later with my camera so I can get some good upclose shots. In the meantime, I hope to upload the pics I have when I get home tonight. Until then....

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
unless it is a swjxe code rifle which was the code for steyr on the last DAY of the war it couldnt be worth ten grand unless it was a super high grade commercial mauser with fancy engraving and even then the rechambering would kill the collectability.

believe it or not there was a swjxe code mauser that popped on gunbroker a couple years ago, it had a sporterized stock and two guys were in an all out bidding war for the rifle. It went for $15,000 plus

Latest posts

Top Bottom