Mauser 98k in .30 Gibbs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a standard german WWII mauser that used to be a dime a dozen so they sporterized it. If it wasnt sporterized and matching numbers it would be worth $750 easy

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with AKguy. It looks like a good sporterization job. That means it is a military action that has been modified. That negates most of the collector value. Whether it was an import or a WWII bringback, German, Czech, Peruvian, etc won't change the market value much.

The original barrel would have been 8x57mm. That is a good caliber. A lot of them we converted to 30-06 with a new barrel. The .30 Gibbs is a modified 30-06. .30 Gibbs is an excellent cartridge. With a 24" barrel it should be a ballistic twin to the 300 Win Mag. It may even be slightly faster. However, market value usually suffers with a wildcat cartridge. Throwing in the dies helps, but catering to the reload only crowd cuts down on your potential pool of buyers.

If it's German (the receiver may not match the trigger guard) and the bluing and wood look as good in person as in the pictures, I would ask $600 starting off and you might reasonably get $500 for it.

Personally, I'd keep it, though. Learn to reload and you'll have a hell of a nice looking rifle that will take all American game save maybe grizzly bear.

Jpt

Latest posts

Top Bottom