Mouse invation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Three more last night makes the total 21 so far. We may have got momma and papa, most were teenagers but got two big fat adults last night.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Along with mice we have these fellas under the house, under the hoods of our cars and in everything you can think of. The bean field next to us is just full of them.

I mowed part of the yard one day and started by mowing a square then cutting it smaller each pass. I had a pistol with rat shot. I did not think I would need a belt fed weapon but when they got to a point of running I KILLED 17, yes not a typo before I ran out of shells in my speed loaders, More were hit but made it to the taller grass or back to the field.

I am now catching mice as fast as we can set traps. For the rats I have just said screw it and I have been putting steel jaw traps under the house. I had been baiting them but found that with no bait and placed next to the skirting the rats just walk into them My wife does not like the idea of skinning a bunch of them for a vest. :)

We do this each year, these big hairy tailed rats are new, just started showing up last year. They are much larger than the normal field rats we have had forever.

The picture of the rat is on a 2x4 hand railing, gives an idea of its size. I have killed more than I can count when mowing and I thin up to 11 now from under the house in traps. I have even caught a few in the live trap. A pellet to the head and out they go.

rat.jpg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do this each year, these big hairy tailed rats are new, just started showing up last year. They are much larger than the normal field rats we have had forever.

View attachment 51822
I found this interesting. I have a buddy down in Midland TX who has been posting on Facebook a lot about his rat problem down there this year. He is a retired guy and has spent a lot of time killing rats. last he posted he had killed over 1000 large rats this year with a .22 revolver, sticky traps, snap traps, etc. They have chewed wires in his wifes BMW to the tune of $4,000 in repairs. I cant imagine that kind of rat population. Hell I have only seen 1 rat here in 15 years...plenty of voles and mice though.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a rat once in a wile when mowing what I call the big mow, we keep about an acre around the house mowed like a lawn, the rest I cut with the tractor and usually only let it get 6 to 8 inches tall before I mow. Think the predators around us do a pretty good job of keeping them in check because they don't have anywhere to hide.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ones I have seen in the suburbs are feeding off pet food.

I've watched them go from house to house visiting the dog food dish and water dish.
They travel along the fence line so if a dog tries to catch them they can dodge under the fence to safety on the other side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom