Moved to Oklahoma: SDA Permit Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK2681

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I moved to Oklahoma from Florida a couple of months ago for work and got an OK DL. I currently have a FL CCW permit that does not expire for a couple of years. The SDA website says that OK honors all valid CCW licenses. Does this mean I can carry in OK with my Florida CCW, even though I am now an OK resident and have an OK DL? I read the law and it doesn't seem to cover this. I really don't want to pay for another license and sit through another training course if I don't absolutely have to.

Thanks.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,

. . . Does this mean I can carry in OK with my Florida CCW, even though I am now an OK resident and have an OK DL? I read the law and it doesn't seem to cover this. . . .

The question is if FLORIDA law allows your permit to remain active now that you are an OK resident. Have your permit in hand when you check the official Florida website dealing with CCW's. If your particular permit is valid, in your current Florida non-resident status, then OK will honor. You may need to update your address with FL CCW site.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And here is the answer (I have had a Florida permit for over a decade): All you need to do is keep Florida advised on you current address. You can keep it, and renew by mail from Oklahoma when renewal is due. The only inconvenience is have to submit prints with a mail renewal.
https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/license/ChangeAddress.aspx?TYPE=790
Change of Address for Individuals licensed under chapter 790

Section 790.06(8) requires you to notify the Division of Licensing in writing within 30 days after a change of address. You may change your address online below or submit your notification to us in writing at the following address:

Division of Licensing
P.O.Box 6387
Tallahassee, FL 32314-6387

As for OK law, all state-issued carry licenses are valid in Oklahoma, as long as they are kept valid with the issuing authority.

If you had a Kentucky license, for example, it would be considered invalid by KY as soon as you got an OK DL, no matter what the date printed on the KY carry license. By the way, this is also true of OK law if you have an OK license and move out of state.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom