Need ideas on how to build a solid backstop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LARscout0311

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've lurked here for a but think I posted once.
Anyway, I'm looking at getting some land soon and needing some ideas on how to build a berm that will stop a .30-06 in 2ft or less.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking a dirt berm?

The 50BMG will penetrate 4' of earth.
I'm not sure on the 30-06, but I have a berm 6' thick and 10' high in my yard that I test loads on. Never had a problem.

LARscout0311

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya i have no intention to pop .50cal cause i dont own any and .30-06 is the largest caliber i own. I figure 2' of dirt is enough but i think ill make a berm at least 5' thick.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 feet is more than enough but put wood up in front of it to hang targets from and make sure there is nothing for at least a mile behind you just in case one goes over the berm... it happens at Tulsa gun club and the berm is 20 feet high.

Bullets have been found on the National Guard tarmac

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5 feet is more than enough but put wood up in front of it to hang targets from and make sure there is nothing for at least a mile behind you just in case one goes over the berm... it happens at Tulsa gun club and the berm is 20 feet high.

Bullets have been found on the National Guard tarmac

Very true. It takes little to deflect a bullet.
While in the military, shooting tracers, it was amazing the direction bullets would travel when shooting at targets on flat ground. Introduce a steel frame, etc, it all matters.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
inclose it on sides & back with railroad ties , dump chat or gravel next to ties as u fill it with dirt to keep the ties from rotting

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I shot a soft point .270 into dirt at about 30yds once. It didn't go 6 inches. Before stopping it turned inside out and shaved/melted off nearly all the lead core. I'm sure an FJM round would go a lot further.

Dirt is a *Very* effective bullet stop, but I wouldn't intentionally build a backstop only 2' thick.

LARscout0311

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been thinking that it will be a three sided berm. All three sides made of RR ties as backing, fill with dirt a good couple of feet deep and then RR ties in the front at the bottom for support.
Being former military I also know how little it take to deflect a bullet and wanting to eliminate as much of that potential as possible. Thanks for the tips so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom