Need ideas on how to build a solid backstop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 feet is more than enough but put wood up in front of it to hang targets from and make sure there is nothing for at least a mile behind you just in case one goes over the berm... it happens at Tulsa gun club and the berm is 20 feet high.

Bullets have been found on the National Guard tarmac

They indeed have. Not any recently that I know of, but the guy that runs our shooting team has found a few bullets. Fortunately before a multi million dollar engine sucked it up.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a guy get shot in a railroad tie built shooting room at Camp Guernsy, WY. Turns out that even an overlapping, double layer of used railroad ties are lousy at stopping 5.56 ball all the time. Good for holding up dirt, but the inconsistant density/ voids and rot allow for the "Magic bullet" phenomena. Lets air out of lungs and makes livers dribble.

Point being that ties may indeed be capable of holding up large volumes of barrier material and form a visual border to shoot within, but don't count on them alone to consistantly stop centerfire bullets.

LARscout311- Why 2 foot barrier?. Can you make room for 6 foot? If so, you can build the tie backed dirt pile from hell.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i have shot at ranges that offered low back stops and little thickness of dirt.

i have shot at ranges with 20 feet tall berms that were several feet thick.

i decided to make my own range .... i had a dozer reroute a creek. this allowed me to be about 15 higher than the targets and shoot downward. i placed targets whereever there was a solid wall of the old creek bank behind the target. i picked the area so no rocks are present. i used pine lumer for the target holders and for the uprights for the metal spinners so they would scatter bullets as little as possible.

i put out 6 paper target holders.

i drilled holes into 4*4's cut rebar to 4 feet lengths drilled holes at ends and in about 4 inches. cut 1 inch pipe to 3 inches long welded pieces of steel to the pipe slid pipe on the rebar add washers on each side cotter key to keep each in place thesse are for 22's.

hung 2 pieces of heavy steel under target frames at 100 and 125 yeards for high powers.

that is my range

Latest posts

Top Bottom