Need some help saving a big tree...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. Got a big ol' pin oak in my front yard, I dunno, 40+ feet tall? It's big, I'm gonna guess it's been here since the house was built in '77 or '78. It sits right in front, between the house and the street. It's west of the house, so it provides a lot of shade in the afternoons on the roof, helping keep the place cool and all.

We had a bunch of dead stuff trimmed off of it by a company about 2 or 3 years ago. Then we had some more guys come out 2 weeks ago and trim out a TON of more dead stuff. It's like there's just more and more of it dying off, but it IS putting out new growth. It is still trying. I don't see any evidence of bore worms, and neither did the tree trimmers. There was a big ol' squirrel nest or something up in there that they pulled out, but nothing else, really. The dead stuff was everything from 1" branches to large 4"+ limbs. It goes all the way to the top. We do have a few moles from grubworms or something, but we have Lawn America come out 4 or 5 times per year and are treating for those as well, trying to eradicate the worms in hopes the moles will follow.

There are no termites, we did have some in the house 3 or 4 years ago and had Orkin come out and drill the holes all around and in the concrete and such, as well as the annual contact to keep them away. Again, no evidence of any termites.

The tree guy mentioned a couple of tree diseases, maybe a mold, or who knows what. There was some black-looking stuff under the bark of some of the dead limbs, but I can't say if that was before or after they died. I don't see anything new, so I am hoping it was post-mortem for those limbs.

I was thinking the OSU Extension Center would help homeowners attempt to diagnose and treat, provide advice, etc. I thought they used to send someone out to examine, provide expertise and possibly take samples, but I don't know if they still do. Is anyone here associated with such an organization, or do you know what I can do to try to get on top of this before I lose this tree? It's a big 'un, and it provides a ton of character and shade on our property... if it dies, not only will it cost me a small fortune to have it safely removed and not drop on my house, but it's going to change the whole character of our block. I don't want to do that.

Anyone got any advice?

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can take a piece of the problem wood to the extension office? Then again a tree that old is going to lose some limbs, I lost a huge maple to the drought, never thought about watering it.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people accidentally kill oaks when they mulch around them and plant raised flower beds. Takes a couple of years for the oak to slowly die off.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google: Pin Oak Chlorosis
Common problem - if you have yellowing leaves it's almost assured.
If you think that may be the problem, there's some good information here.

Leaves all look good. And it's lost ALOT of it's growth... I'm talking probably 25% of good established limbs.

A lot of people accidentally kill oaks when they mulch around them and plant raised flower beds. Takes a couple of years for the oak to slowly die off.

We do have a raised bed around it, it's been there since before we moved in 5 years ago. We did do some work on it and add mulch and such, as well. We need to look into this...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also got a big cedar in the back yard that lost about 1/3 of its limbs, all on the west side. I'm sure this was from the bad summer a couple of years back. I am afraid I can't do much with it... cutting all that dead growth out will leave a giant hole in the tree. Neighbor on that side wants me to cut it down, because he wants more sun in his yard and his pool. I let him "trim" back another tree on that fenceline a few weeks ago, which essentially means he took a chainsaw and cut down over 50% of the tree above the fenceline. It's essentially butchered and I'm afraid it's going to die thanks to him. I don't want to cut the cedar, too. We can't pull the stump because it's in a junction of three privacy fences, so those would all be torn out in the process. Grinding the stump is an option, but then we can't plant another tree there...

I'm afraid in the next two years we're going to lose all three of these trees, which would leave us with a single pin oak in the middle of the back yard, about 20 feet tall... it's probably less than 10 years old.

The age, quality and character of the trees in this neighborhood was a major factor in why we chose to buy here, in this older, mature area, rather than the newer cookie-cutter neighborhoods across town. All the trees there were 8-foot tall spindly things.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Life expectancy of a pin oak is 70 to 140 yrs. Put it out of its misery before the real tree huggers and EPA try to save it by removing your house

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check with the City of B'ville to see if they have an urban forester. They may contract for such a service since they are a "Tree City USA."

Latest posts

Top Bottom