Neighbor issues.. my lawn is not a toilet!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I asking too much for my neighbors to clean up after their dogs when they defecate on my lawn?

I'm at my wits end with 2 neighbors that seem to think they own the block and that my lawn is the official toilet for their dogs. They don't use leashes, by the way, so the dogs freely roam around until they find a nice spot to pinch a loaf.

:scream:

I've confronted both. One of them, a woman, blatantly lied to my face and tried to tell me that it's free fertilizer. The other, an old man, openly admitted to doing it and said he didn't care (and threw in a few choice words to my face).

It's not like I'm "that house" with the rough lawn, either. Every year I spend considerable time during the warmer months removing weeds, fertilizing, mowing and edging weekly, and tending to the trees and bushes. Until the devil's weather moved in this year, I think my lawn was one of the best looking on the block.

I consider myself very considerate of others, often too considerate, and generally mind my own business. Yet, it has stressed me the hell out to constantly have to patrol my property on a daily basis because of this. I've lost sleep over this and the anxiety of it at times has my pulse racing.

I don't think it is the dog waste as much as it is the direct violation of my personal space by others. I don't own pets, but I would guess this is irresponsible pet ownership and it hurts those who ARE responsible and use leashes and clean up after their pets. (thank you to those who are responsible pet owners)

The last thing I want to do is make the situation more sour since nobody benefits from bad blood, but my next and only option is to report this to animal welfare. I'm currently building up cases against both offenders with photo and video evidence.

Does anyone have any more advice? Perhaps someone here can lend a hand to a fellow OSA'er if you work for the city? One of my primary concerns about reporting this is retaliation. You never know what some people will do to "reclaim their crown".

:soapbox:

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build a poo cannon? String an ankle high electric fence?

Paper bag it up, place on porch, ignite, ring doorbell, run. First instinct is to stomp out fire.

Not much help, am I?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would just get a pooper scooper and return their property. Leave it on the hood of their car where they can easily find it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call Code Enforcement. They will send a nice little letter to them. If that doesn't work, see the above suggestions for come creative ways to return the "lost" property to its rightful owners.

I had this problem for a little while. I just got a dog bigger than the other folks around here and let her chase the little dogs back down the street! haha! That really ticked off the little old lady with the Boston Terriers ...

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Video camera, followed by call to the police, tresspassing charge, maybe even Vandalism charge, followed by law suit in small claims court for harrassment. Seriously, either tell them point blank, stay the **** off my property, then follow up with either ass kicking or call to the cops, or deal with being walked over.

Normally just the video camera will stop it, I have a ****** neighbor like yours, only add registered sex offender to his glowing resume, video camera, followed by a visit from the sheriff a couple years ago, set him in place, crying like a baby he was, he lays low now, as he should.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it happens often enough collect droppings in a 5 gallon bucket when they are still fresh will add to the sand castle packing style. When bucket is nearly full take it over to there yard or porch and turn upside down. Pound the sides to loosen then lift bucket off. What they will have is a mess too large to just mow over. It will be to big for a shovel. For faster filling you might need the assistance of other people pets. Multiple bucket dumps at night oughta disgust them pretty good.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well both neighbors have clearly shown that they don't really care what you think. I would absolutely return the droppings to their front porch. If they confront you, tell them to keep their dog from crapping on your lawn and you won't have to keeping returning it.

Of course you could always replay the scene from Me, Myself & Irene. On second thought, just start here.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar problem once....

Everytime the dog crapped in my yard, I scooped it up and threw it in the owners driveway...problem went away after a week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom