Neighbor issues.. my lawn is not a toilet!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Animal welfare is probably the best bet. In Tulsa, the police will turn it over to them anyway. And, they will cite the animal owner just like a traffic ticket.

Fines in Tulsa:

•Dog/Cat at large Citation: $75
•Un-spayed/Un-neutered Citation: $75
•Unvaccinated Animal Citation: $75
•Unlicensed Animal Citation: $75

If the dog is impounded there may be other charges as well.

I like this solution. The best realistic alternative to this would be to hire an attorney. If they're not reasonable an attorney will explore ways to make them reasonable.

Really? You've actually lost sleep and had anxiety issues over dog poop?

Sorry, buddy... truly am.

Yes, a front lawn is as important to some people as your living room is to you. How would you like it if someone came into your living room and peed on the carpet?

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting options above. I do wonder though whether this is on your "Yard" or is it actually on the easement? Might make a difference in how to approach this situation.

In the context of dog waste, I'm the only one responsible for dealing with it. The city isn't going to clean it up for me. I believe a public easement in this situation only applies to the placement of illegal signs, utilities service, etc. anyway so it isn't something I've factored in.

I had a similar problem once....

Everytime the dog crapped in my yard, I scooped it up and threw it in the owners driveway...problem went away after a week.

Great suggestion. I'll give this a shot. Both houses are within a stone's throw.

Dog crap will probably do more harm to your lawn than good, hoping and assuming the dog owners are feeding him meat.

I saw nothing in your post hinting around that you might consider it, but please don't do anything directly to the dog (no BB guns, anti-freeze, etc). It's not his fault his owners are morons. I would advise calling the police rather than animal welfare, unless they're able to cite the owners rather than hauling the dog away, which punishes the dog more than it does the owners.

I would also think returning the dumps to the front porch or driveway (bagged or not) would be a good way to get your point across.

Don't these people have a backyard for this kind of stuff?

As tempting as it is to punish the animal, I'd rather punish the owner.

Really? You've actually lost sleep and had anxiety issues over dog poop?

Sorry, buddy... truly am.

I'm also sorry I've lost sleep over this. I know it's insignificant in the bigger picture of existence, but at one time or another we all deal with the little stuff more than it warrants. I hope you will understand that it has more to do with the neighbors failure to follow the "golden rule" which I adhere to very strictly.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find a few of those presents in my yard every now and then too... it's always up on the easement side (and yes even though it's the easement, it's still not right... :anyone:) near the sidewalk and we have a bunch of people who walk their dogs early in the morning so I'm sure it's one or more of them.

These people already know that to be good neighbors, they should be picking up their dogs poop and not leaving it in other people's yards. They do it on purpose and without regard. Therefore, their rudeness will be met with the same from me, should I catch one of them.

I won't lose sleep over it, but if I witness it, I will recover and return their poop for them. I like the driveway and car hood options the best.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you refference the dogs are running free I would call animal control and get them picked up. If you can catch them all the better. Once they are picked up tell the owners where they are. The dogs only have a little trauma and the owners get to pay to get out of jail. Tell them you'll do it everytime.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://m.wikihow.com/Stand-up-for-Yourself
Dude I dont get it! Are you a woman?
kick the **** out of one or both of the owners. Be known as the CRAZY guy not the push over. Few hours in jail and a court date, big deal.

Any idea what an assault conviction does to your ability to purchase, own and carry firearms these days?

purplehaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dog poop really bothers you this much?
I bet it's little bitty dogs too.
GC7 said:
Am I asking too much for my neighbors to clean up after their dogs when they defecate on my lawn?

I'm at my wits end with 2 neighbors that seem to think they own the block and that my lawn is the official toilet for their dogs. They don't use leashes, by the way, so the dogs freely roam around until they find a nice spot to pinch a loaf.

:scream:

I've confronted both. One of them, a woman, blatantly lied to my face and tried to tell me that it's free fertilizer. The other, an old man, openly admitted to doing it and said he didn't care (and threw in a few choice words to my face).

It's not like I'm "that house" with the rough lawn, either. Every year I spend considerable time during the warmer months removing weeds, fertilizing, mowing and edging weekly, and tending to the trees and bushes. Until the devil's weather moved in this year, I think my lawn was one of the best looking on the block.

I consider myself very considerate of others, often too considerate, and generally mind my own business. Yet, it has stressed me the hell out to constantly have to patrol my property on a daily basis because of this. I've lost sleep over this and the anxiety of it at times has my pulse racing.

I don't think it is the dog waste as much as it is the direct violation of my personal space by others. I don't own pets, but I would guess this is irresponsible pet ownership and it hurts those who ARE responsible and use leashes and clean up after their pets. (thank you to those who are responsible pet owners)

The last thing I want to do is make the situation more sour since nobody benefits from bad blood, but my next and only option is to report this to animal welfare. I'm currently building up cases against both offenders with photo and video evidence.

Does anyone have any more advice? Perhaps someone here can lend a hand to a fellow OSA'er if you work for the city? One of my primary concerns about reporting this is retaliation. You never know what some people will do to "reclaim their crown".

:soapbox:

Latest posts

Top Bottom