New York Wants Gun Owners To Seek Mental Health Evaluations - For Each Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spence

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who sets the standards?

I haven't watched the video, but I spent a little over a year up there a decade ago. Just about thought I was going to have to be a permanent resident, so I was trying to wade my way through the idea of having to deal with the insane "pistol permitting" process just to buy a handgun. Oh, and pretty much every handgun I already had would have been illegal there, too. The fact that you've got to do all the "written" paperwork, then send it to the sheriff, and if he approves it, it goes to a judge, and he has final say. There's a couple forms of "restricted" (I don't remember now, but I think there's versions to the range and back only, and you can carry on your own property), and then "unrestricted" meaning you can carry where ever. Oh, and the gun you carry has to be on YOUR permit, and it's only on YOUR permit. Oh, and decide you want another pistol? It goes back before the judge. And he can revoke an unrestricted permit for no reason, or further restrict a restricted permit. It's compete bollocks.

So who knows, but I wouldn't want to be there. That place is a nuthouse. We were informed there are several counties that are pretty normal to live in because they've got solid LE and judges, and some counties good luck ever even getting a permit to buy the thing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't watched the video, but I spent a little over a year up there a decade ago. Just about thought I was going to have to be a permanent resident, so I was trying to wade my way through the idea of having to deal with the insane "pistol permitting" process just to buy a handgun. Oh, and pretty much every handgun I already had would have been illegal there, too. The fact that you've got to do all the "written" paperwork, then send it to the sheriff, and if he approves it, it goes to a judge, and he has final say. There's a couple forms of "restricted" (I don't remember now, but I think there's versions to the range and back only, and you can carry on your own property), and then "unrestricted" meaning you can carry where ever. Oh, and the gun you carry has to be on YOUR permit, and it's only on YOUR permit. Oh, and decide you want another pistol? It goes back before the judge. And he can revoke an unrestricted permit for no reason, or further restrict a restricted permit. It's compete bollocks.

So who knows, but I wouldn't want to be there. That place is a nuthouse. We were informed there are several counties that are pretty normal to live in because they've got solid LE and judges, and some counties good luck ever even getting a permit to buy the thing.
Those states try to get around the 2nd by all kinds of opposing rules and regulations.
If you have a birth mark on your butt, your not allowed to carry and so on.
When I visit areas where concealed carry is not allowed under penalty of law, I don't, but feel totally naked. That back up pistola in the pocket banging against the leg on every step just isn't' there.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who sets the standards?

What do you bet it won't be codified? It'll be left with enough ambiguity that anyone can be denied on a whim. Ergo, when you go in for the couch session, be calm, keep a straight face, and by all means don't do anything whimsical! :tounge2:

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom