Dealing with Mental Health

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure they can. A family member of mine tried to kill themselves not to long ago, a judge signed an emergency commitment order...zoom away they went after a charcoal lavage to a facility in north OKC. They were locked up for 72 hours with no family contact.
Congratulations, you literally just proved my point.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've went from who shouldn't have guns to who gets to lock up who pretty quick. While it's clear changes are needed but just addressing those two issues(rights) is tunnel vision at best. Considering the importance of those issues, and the overall situation maybe we should widen our perspective be careful? One of the important things to remember but seems to be ignored is the question of what is "mental health" and who/how it's defined by as it sets the stage for the rest of the show...

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/dsm-fire-financial-conflicts/story?id=15909673
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2802599/
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/healt...ut-changes-in-revised-dsm-guidebook-1.1282954

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regarding mental health….

I live on a city lot, my neighbor has been diagnosed bi-polar and maybe something else to go with it, I don’t know. The bi-polar was diagnosed around 15 years ago, he is now in his early 70s and lives alone, no family close by. He’s been on meds in the past and has decided not to take the proper dosage for whatever reason and that has resulted in many issues, some impacting those around him.

He used to have some firearms in the house until he decided to shoot off his shotgun in the back yard at 6:00 am. That resulted in a trip to jail, court and the VA for treatment. He shot off a pistol several years later in his front yard, so back to jail, court and the VA. He had his weapons taken away and as far as I know he does not have any more but there’s nothing keeping him from buying in a private sale. He has been prescribed medication he just doesn’t take what he should. He takes enough to be coherent when in front of a judge so he hasn’t been court directed to a facility, although he should be, as he can’t take care of himself.

He was arrested last year when a neighbor across the street saw him jerking off in his driveway. He was only gone a couple days for that, no idea what consequence there was for that, if much of anything. He regularly sets off his truck alarm throughout the night – 0300, 0500, 0600, just whenever and he’ll do the same with his house alarm. He also likes to play his truck radio very loud, either while sitting in it in the driveway or while he’s in the house. It’s loud enough we can hear it in our house even though his truck windows are rolled up. My wife called the police last week when he was doing that around midnight. They rolled by and talked to him then left.

He doesn’t take care of his house or yard and is a bit of a hoarder. His grass rarely gets cut and his house has a few paths through it amongst all the trash. He’s well known to code enforcement and the local PD but nothing changes. I used to help him from time to time when things went south but I’ve now refused. He knows what he’s doing and does stupid crap intentionally, just to do it since he knows there are little to no consequences. Several times he’s played an Air Force CD of just trumpet songs off his back patio loud enough to hear in our house. Usually he’s nowhere to be seen but will sometimes stand at attention while Taps is played.

This is only a quick overview of his crazy, it goes on every day. Wash/rinse/repeat. I have no problem saying a guy like this should never have access to a firearm and should be court ordered into an institution/facility that can ensure he’s taken care of but that won’t happen. He’ll never been able to legally buy a gun again but a private sale is another matter. It’ll take a huge screw up by him for anything to change, hopefully that doesn’t involve me or my family.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You seem to misunderstand how the system works. Neither a sheriff nor an LE agency can involuntarily commit someone.
I'm not an expert on the laws of each and every state and/or protectorate of the union, but a few years ago I seem to remember reading where a guy was arrested for being drunk (probably in some blue state like California or Illinois) and they involuntarily commited him (because he fought the cops) for psyche evaluation for 24, 48, or 72 hours - don't really remember exact length of time. After which, because it was involuntary commitment, they turned his name into the FBI and he was no longer able to own firearms. Maybe I should have worded it differently and said something like "an activist cabal of LE, MD and Judge working together to take gunowners' rights away through involuntary commitment."

Last edited:

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
from what you just said, it wasn't an 'activist sheriff' as you mentioned in your previous comment. It was a judge.

The LEOs did the enforcing of the court order, they did not make the decision to involuntarily commit your family member.
I'm betting LE requested the involuntary commitment order from the judge and, just like with the average search warrant request, the judge routinely signed it... Of course in this instance it sounds warranted, but the system could easily be abused by unscrupulous radicals.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm betting LE requested the involuntary commitment order from the judge and, just like with the average search warrant request, the judge routinely signed it...
He later said that an 'ER doc' was involved. And that it went to a judge. Both contradicted his earlier statement regarding it being the act of 'activist sheriff'. Sounds like a medical professional was involved somewhere in the mix, albeit unclear exactly where/when or what the outcome was.

If judges are too quick to sign warrants or commitment orders then perhaps that is the discussion to have. There will never be a perfect system for dealing with this kind of thing, but that shouldn't stop us from recognizing what things work and what could be improved. It will always be a balance and in this case it sounds like multiple people, professionals in their fields, said this person should have been committed for evaluation (where i'm guessing more professionals were involved).

Latest posts

Top Bottom