Dealing with Mental Health

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for the sake of this discussion, students could be those enrolled in an educational environment at the time of the shooting, perhaps?

I mean if you don't want to lump anyone over 18 in the statistics because they are legally 'adults' then how would you propose separating those involved in a school shooting who are 18 vs those who are under it?

"Student" would seem a pretty good way to do it, but if you want to continue to debate the meaning of the word then i guess i'll defer to you on how to identify the group in question so that we may better understand that group is it relates to the overall statistics.
This isn't how "they" push the lie about guns being the leading cause of death for "children" though. They just say "children" and include 1-19 year-olds while excluding kids <1. I think we all understand that when they say children that it shouldn't include 18 and 19 year-olds.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really do feel that the operators and owners of places like Academy Sports and H&H and anyone who is licensed for FFL transfer needs to have mandatory education and training on the unmistakable, clearly unsteady and clearly unstable mindset of a human being. You chose to sell guns to earn a living I applaud that. I chose to put stents in people’s heart when they have a heart attack- but I had to assist in hundreds before I could deploy one and deploy it supervised. I had to be trained. And my point is if we put a mandatory 3 hour class in place to train anyone selling a firearm in a for profit business- the world would be safer.
FFLs can already practice this level of discretion. But I'm sure not everyone does.

I think the world would be safer if we required consent to share mental health and other similar data to the NICs database.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The answer to your question is involuntary commitment, followed by listing on NICS as prohibited. If ANYONE is unwilling to admit that this is the solution, then they're not serious about fixing the problem. Their "feelings" are irrelevant to the issue and the Constitution.

See above. /thread
Not such a good solution when an activist Sheriff or other LE agency starts routinely involuntarily commiting people for 'mental health evaluation" whenever the urge hits them...

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I see it, it takes way to much work to get mental health on someone's record. Personally I know way too many loonies with guns, even some that can't own guns, can purchase from individuals. I don't think it can be fixed, best thing is just be ready.
Are you a mental health professional qualified to ascertain whether a person is "mentally defective" as opposed to just "odd" or something?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not such a good solution when an activist Sheriff or other LE agency starts routinely involuntarily commiting people for 'mental health evaluation" whenever the urge hits them...
You seem to misunderstand how the system works. Neither a sheriff nor an LE agency can involuntarily commit someone.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You seem to misunderstand how the system works. Neither a sheriff nor an LE agency can involuntarily commit someone.
Sure they can. A family member of mine tried to kill themselves not to long ago, a judge signed an emergency commitment order...zoom away they went after a charcoal lavage to a facility in north OKC. They were locked up for 72 hours with no family contact.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure they can. A family member of mine tried to kill themselves not to long ago, a judge signed an emergency commitment order...zoom away they went after a charcoal lavage to a facility in north OKC. They were locked up for 72 hours with no family contact.
from what you just said, it wasn't an 'activist sheriff' as you mentioned in your previous comment. It was a judge.

The LEOs did the enforcing of the court order, they did not make the decision to involuntarily commit your family member.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
from what you just said, it wasn't an 'activist sheriff' as you mentioned in your previous comment. It was a judge.

The LEOs did the enforcing of the court order, they did not make the decision to involuntarily commit your family member.
Well it was actually the ER doc and the judge but in my head I consider the judge to be part of the 'LE' system. That might be wrong but this whole thread makes me a little bummed out. Take care

Latest posts

Top Bottom