NFL draft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually it was a shoulder injury that caused him to decide to leave baseball. I figured the gooners on here would start blasting him. Oh, by the way, where did your boy wonder Broyles land? Oh yeah, deep in the 2nd.... Gooners gotta be be goons....

Lol, another buttpoke fan whining. Who said Broyles was a boy wonder, Just so you know he was projected to be picked a lot later than he was. All of this has nothing to do with OU vs OSU. If weeden was good I would give it to him. He had a lot of things he won't have in the NFL. Blocking, good receivers to throw too and time. Blackmon is good but he is going to be the next t.o in my mind. He likes to jack his jaw and whine when things don't go his way. If he gets a team attitude he will flourish. The lions are the team you need to be on the lookout for. They picked up broyles to go along with megadouche, they have pettigrew at te and best at rb. Stafford is settling in at qb and added some guys to learn the system on defense in the lewis'. Seattle in the west is going to be stacked as well. They acquired flynn in free agency, picked up a great franchise backup in the draft with russell wilson and still have beast mode lynch and some decent wr's. Their defense should get better with some of their other picks as well. Just like my packers went and bolstered their lines with some great hybrid guys. This is one of the best drafts i know of in years for great players getting great fits.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who do you want under center? Tebow or Sanchez?

Tough call. Honesty, I didn't watch the Broncos play much at all last year so I don't have a feel for Tebow's abilities. I thought Sanchez as an overall decent QB but he's a bit like watching paint dry. Kinda interested in who the local NY fan base will get behind.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tough call. Honesty, I didn't watch the Broncos play much at all last year so I don't have a feel for Tebow's abilities. I thought Sanchez as an overall decent QB but he's a bit like watching paint dry. Kinda interested in who the local NY fan base will get behind.
I assume they will shift more towards tebow. They are getting fed up with sanchez and his lack of play for the pay he gets. I was really surprised when they re upped his contract in the offseason. He isn't welcomed by alot of the team and fans. My dad's other team besides the pack is the jets and he was flabbergasted when they re signed sanchez and then brought in tebow. Honestly I think they should play sanchez until it gets close and then put tebow in, since Sanchez's weakness is Tebow's greatest attribute. Bring back Wayne Chrebret!

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Funny how OU fans dog weeden for whatever reason. It has to be a jealousy thing. Hell I'd be jealous if we had laundry jones. I mean you put the guy on his bottom once and he is rattled, one of the worst in the big12 in the red zone. Bob stoops doesn't even trust him in the red zone. You take away his safety net broyles and he is lost.

Yeah we do finally have a few players drafted in the 1st round so we are excited. I love the high and mighty act like you have been there attitude. It's the only defense when your traditional power house team is as not good as a up and coming. OSU as a football program is as good as its ever been. OU is a shell of what it used to be.

44-10

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I LoL'd. I know it must be hard for sooner fans to accept that OSU isn't the red headed step child anymore. Keep on touting your tradition and how you've been there before.

http://turfburner.com/the-feed/item/946-todd-monken-has-some-thoughts-on-ous-offense-last-season

Todd Monken Has Some Thoughts on Landry Jones Carrying OU

It's not every day you hear a coach in the media single out an opposing team or a player on another team. And it certainly doesn't happen often when it's about his team's biggest rival.

Usually coaches are about as vanilla as it comes to speaking in front of a microphone. Not Oklahoma State offensive coordinator, Todd Monken, who has never been afraid to speak his mind. As a fan, you have love it. It's too bad more coaches don't do it. Now whether Mike Gundy loves it is an entirely different matter.

Who's knows if the following qualifies as bulletin board material, but it's at least a subtle jab at the Cowboys' Bedlam rival.

In an interview with David Ubben on his Big 12 blog, Monken threw out this beauty when discussing Oklahoma State's quarterback situation and whether teams have a quarterback who can carry a team.

"It didn’t take long when ol’ (Oklahoma receiver Ryan) Broyles went down and (OU) started running the dozer to think, 'Do we have our guy?' That didn’t take long," Monken said. "Landry Jones went from like, 'I’m the man,' to all of a sudden, 'I haven’t thrown a touchdown pass, I'm fumbling it over my head at Oklahoma State. I gotta go back and see my quarterback guru."

Now that is solid. It's so good it's needs to be broken down in parts to help provide a little clarification as to exactly what he's talking about.

Part I

"It didn’t take long when ol’ (Oklahoma receiver Ryan) Broyles went down and (OU) started running the dozer to think, 'Do we have our guy?' That didn’t take long."

The Sooners lost the NCAA's all-time leader in receptions (Broyles) in the ninth game of the season when he tore his ACL. Now, I highly doubt OU was saying to itself, "Do we have our guy?" but they did expand backup quarterback Blake Bell's role in their rushing offense (the dozer) from that point forward.

In reality, the Sooners had shown the look earlier in the season, including the previous week against Kansas State when Bell had five carries. Following Broyles injury, however, Bell's role in the offense expanded three-fold.

In the game against A&M when Broyles went out, Bell had 12 carries including a touchdown. Over the final five weeks in of the season (3.5 games without Broyles) he rushed for a combined 13 touchdowns including the bowl game when Bell scored three times against Iowa.

Losing Broyles was a huge blow to OU and they did what they had to do to help replace his production, but Monken's point in his quote was that most teams don't have a quarterback who can carry a team by himself and decided to use their conference rival as an example. Depending on your point of view I guess, he might have a point. That leads us to...

Part II

"Landry Jones went from like, 'I’m the man,' to all of a sudden, 'I haven’t thrown a touchdown pass, I'm fumbling it over my head at Oklahoma State."

Oh, this is getting good.

Broyles went down early in the A&M game and Jones went on to have his worst game of the season from a completion percentage standpoint (18-38, 47.4%). He still managed to throw two touchdowns in that game.

From that point forward, however, he didn't throw a touchdown pass the final three games of the regular season but did throw five interceptions (nine in the first eight games). He finally threw a touchdown pass in the bowl game against Iowa while also throwing one interception.

I can't speak to what exactly was going through Jones' head toward the end of the seasons, but there's little doubt he and Oklahoma's offense struggled after Broyles went down. As for fumbling over his head against Oklahoma State, well, see for yourself.

Part III

"I gotta go back and see my quarterback guru."

What's this all about? The Sooners took a week long hiatus from spring practice while the school was on spring break and Jones used the time to visit quarterback coach, George Whitfield, in California, unbeknownst to the Sooners' coaching staff. Hey, you can't really fault a guy for trying to improve, can you?

Now, whether he made the visit to California because of his end-of-the-season struggles will never be known, but the fact that Monken made the correlation between all the factors just puts the icing on the cake to one of the best quotes coming from a coach I've seen in a while.

Maybe I'm drawing the wrong conclusion here, but I think Monken's point is that, yes Brandon Weeden is gone, but whoever becomes OSU's starter will be fine assuming the players around him hold up their end of the bargain.

He did end the interview by stating as much. "Winning and losing this year won’t be a matter of whether we find a quarterback or not," Monken said. "It’ll be, will we stay healthy with the guys we have and the depth that we have. That’ll be the big thing. The guys will play well around whoever we have."

But thank you for using Oklahoma's situation as an example. Saying only that wouldn't have been the same without it.

UPDATE (4/27/12): Monken did issue an apology on Friday for his remarks about Jones.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just glad the Bears picked up a bunch of guys who I've never heard of. Let's face it, how often does top college talent pan out in the NFL? Sure you have your AD's now and then, but for the most part, the big name guys in college wash out after a few fair seasons, and the big NFL stars were guys you never heard of in their college days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom