Non retired Vet question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, the Veterans Advisor at the American Legion in Ponca can get you on the right track. He travels to other posts, but I don't know his schedule.
Yes, you are a Vietnam era Veteran, and you will be given benefits if you need them.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, went to the VA today to get my VA card. After waiting then loading all my info into their computer they wanted to know how much money my house hold makes, how much I have in the bank and investments. Then the lady smiled and said I'm sorry you make too much money to be eligible for a VA card. Since you aren't eligible you can't get a card.

I then explained that I'm a desert storm vet and I fit into that wars group. She said that in order to get a VA card I had to apply for one before 2003 (5 years after the war). I can not grandfather into that group.

Congress put a cap on the VA in 2003 and I no longer qualify for benefits.

I then went to the Oklahoma veteran affairs to see if the state has some kind of vet ID. They told me of a new law the Gov just signed. Starting in Nov. you can go get a new drivers license that has a vet endorsment on it to prove you are a vet.

I guess I'll just have to wait until then to be able to be able to carry a vet ID.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guess I was wrong, just looked at my card and all it mentions is VA health stuff on the back, so maybe it is just issued for the health care protion of your benifits. Sorry 'bout that and that they changed all the rules to where you can't be grandfathered in, that sux!

But with all that aside, you're still a veteran and still eligible for some benifits.

http://www.va.gov/opa/newtova.asp

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then get service connected. Ringing in the ears is 10% and pretty much a given as there is no test to for it. Were you around firearms without hearing protection, loud machinery, planes, etc. during your service? If so and you have tinnitus then apply.

BTW, if your served in the Persian Gulf War between August 2, 1990 and Nov 11, 1998 then you are a Priority 6 group veteran and eligible. After that the other restrictions kick in like the 5 years. From the link I provided: - Veterans who served in a theater of combat operations after November 11, 1998, as follows:
- Veterans discharged from active duty on or after January 28, 2003, for five years post discharge.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I then went to the Oklahoma veteran affairs to see if the state has some kind of vet ID. They told me of a new law the Gov just signed. Starting in Nov. you can go get a new drivers license that has a vet endorsment on it to prove you are a vet.

I guess I'll just have to wait until then to be able to be able to carry a vet ID.
May not work as this is Lowes policy: To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

Of course, the policy could change.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was an Aerospace Ground Equipment tech (AGE). so I worked on the flightline my whole 10 years. I got out in 1995.

I told her I am in group 6 for being in the war but she said since I make too much money I can't qualify for benefits. If I don't qualify for benefits I can't get a VA card.In order to get a card I needed to apply before 2003.

Now I can only get a va card if my wife loses her job because her job alone is too much money. I'm sure with it being the government I have to jump through hoops to prove any health problems is related to my service time.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have to jump thru hoops most of the time, unless it is a complicated health problem. With your career field and working on the flightline a tinnitus claim would be easy. They would also check your hearing for damage which is also compensated if bad. What they do is send you to a local private hearing doctor who has a contract with the VA thru QTC Medical Services. You even get travel pay for going. Once you get compensation for tinnitus then you have your foot in the door and can claim for other service related health problems if you have any. Go to Goldsby and they will walk you thru it. It will be worth your time to do this, make sure you take all of your records with you. It's the veterans that try to do it on their own that get screwed by the VA. There is no cost for the help Goldsby will give you.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to jump thru hoops most of the time, unless it is a complicated health problem. With your career field and working on the flightline a tinnitus claim would be easy. Once you get compensation for tinnitus then you have your foot in the door and can claim for other service related health problems if you have any.

Only if he has tinnitus of course, right? Surely you aren't suggesting he make something up just because it is easy to get and unverifiable.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, only if he has tinnitus and can link it to his service. But being on the flightline for 10 years the odds are he has it and that is where he got it. The list of health issues you can be compensated for is long and surprising. I knew a guy who got compensation for hemorrhoids.

Do you get VA compensation?

Latest posts

Top Bottom