Not for Profits ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you guys have any experience with running a not-for-profit. Nothing big and fancy ... Have a friend who has gotten herself into rescuing rabbits. (NOT ME! LOL) And we got to talking about if there was a way to cut her expenses a little. This is apparently gonna be an ongoing thing (I HATE breeders 😡😡😡) so I wanna help her out if I can.

Thanks guys!! Y'all are the bestest! 😘

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was the VP on the board of a shelter in Colorado for several years...but that was 12 years ago and I mostly oversaw the day-to-day operations...not the administrative stuff. A lot is also state specific. I also have a friend who runs a non-profit shelter up in Washington. What kind of info are you looking for?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just listening to someone talk about why his operation is operating as an LLC instead of being a non-profit. He said he’d looked into it, but, IIRC, there was way too much red tape and paperwork involved, and far too many .gov gotchas.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife was looking into a getting nonprofit thing for a clothes closet for foster kids but one of the rules was she had to have a board of directors so she just forgot about it wasnt going to be large enough for all of that.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
she had to have a board of directors
The guy who was talking about LLC vs. non-profit also mentioned this. Basically, if you go the non-profit route, you yield all control to the board of directors, and you have to do what they say, whether you agree with it or not.

You might ask James O’Keefe how that worked out…

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with what @SoonerP226 said above. From what I understand, it can get pretty complicated and tricky to navigate. Does she have an agricultural tax exempt id? If not, that could be a pretty easy process for at least saving on taxes. Your friend would need to come up with some basic business/farm operation that deals with the rabbits.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with what @SoonerP226 said above. From what I understand, it can get pretty complicated and tricky to navigate. Does she have an agricultural tax exempt id? If not, that could be a pretty easy process for at least saving on taxes. Your friend would need to come up with some basic business/farm operation that deals with the rabbits.

Oh Lord ... Her HOA would have a stroke. Haha! I'm not sure but I think the rabbits are kinda under the radar right now. But she's been hooked -- she feels bad for the rabbits. Some ***** breeder just throws all her culls into a pen and lets them starve/die from illness, etc. until someone just takes them off her hands. If I knew who it was I'd report her so fast her head would spin. I HATE breeders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom