Not for Profits ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best Friends is a massive operation in Utah. This plan can probably be scaled to fit her situation:

https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/how-start-rescue-or-other-animal-nonprofit

Not meaning to detract from THAT Gurl's thread, but that Best Friends outfit is MASSIVE. However, I was surprised to find out that they accepted volunteer workers and had RV spaces for those workers, however, they charged those volunteers a hefty price for those RV spaces. We were working in a small RV park in Kanab, UT (near to Best Friends' facilities), and one of our guests told us about the pricing. Our RV sites were a lot less expensive than those of Best Friends.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The others have pretty much covered what I would tell you.

Farm tax exemption is a minimum of 3 acres and FARM, not just livestock. So, a HOA probably not involved.

A BoD can be 3, your friend and you are 2.

Keep the operation small and more of a hobby. Don't advertise as an organization. Just let word of mouth tell of her as a "disposal" source.
I let word out that I would TAKE chicks bought for Easter, when kids lost interest. Dont get lots of them, but slowly growing.

Lots of little nuances, hoops and regs to jump through.

The best of intentions mean nothing to a benevolent goobermint.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not meaning to detract from THAT Gurl's thread, but that Best Friends outfit is MASSIVE. However, I was surprised to find out that they accepted volunteer workers and had RV spaces for those workers, however, they charged those volunteers a hefty price for those RV spaces. We were working in a small RV park in Kanab, UT (near to Best Friends' facilities), and one of our guests told us about the pricing. Our RV sites were a lot less expensive than those of Best Friends.

Yep... It's big. A buddy and I went on a 10 day motorcycle trip around the 4-corners states and spent a day and a half volunteering at Best Friends. Awesome place. I highly recommend anyone heading out that way stop by. We didn't stay on site...we stayed in a motel in town.

Latest posts

Top Bottom